Username: Password:

Author Topic: Round # 2, BMW 2002 StanceWorks and Indycar Cups, Willow Springs, Nov 1st 2018  (Read 338 times)

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
Willow Springs
Light Cloud and Clear
16 and 21 Laps

Offline kennyrodgers

Sorry I left guys. thrustmaster wheel decided to go into share mode and took me into the wall, 100% damage, job done.
Better luck next time eh.
J.F.D.I

Offline chris99277

• your custom title
Hello. I watched the first race last night and it was very entertaining. Some good close racing especially for positions 5 to 7.

I'm currently a couple of seconds off the pace, which I think is mostly lost at the bumpy top section. I've never had much success with tuning, so not really sure what I need to do to keep the BMW stable through turns 3 & 4. I've raised the ride height, lowered the fast dampers and rear anti-roll torque which has helped a little.

Does anyone have any advise or a setup I could try?

Thanks,
Chris

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
Congratulations to Filip and jod on their wins!   
BMW race:  I qualified in 3rd and had a good start but gave plenty of room and came back to bite me; I lost I think a couple of places at the start.  Tarbz took the inside of the long Turn 2 and then I was aware of some sliding outward under acceleration that I decided to ease the throttle and just tuck in behind.   The rest was just trying to keep it as clean as possible but I ended up at least going off road a couple of times but did not loose much thankfully, enough to finish in 4th.
Indycar:  I qualified in 3rd again! We started in formation lap due to some electronic glitches on our lap counter as per jod Whiting.  I had a good launch behind the first two and what do I do? I hit the limiter by mistake instead of KERs and that allowed Filip to get a run on me and with my slippery tires I could not counter and just decided to settle and follow him.  I did my pit stop and saw Linus fly by into Turn 1 but I managed to get out just ahead pf Filip who was showing tremedous speed behind me.  Filip broke his left front wing after getting too close to my Kevlar built tires; in fact my recording does not show contact but somehow his wing reacted as if there was.  So lucky to remain unscathed, I did see Filip close at high rate of speed that at the last moment I went to the inside giving him the outside, but I saw in my mirrors that we had gone wide and did not find out until later about his broken wing.
So lucky!  Now I find the weather forecast for next race is rainy!  Hopefully we can keep the cars on the tarmac and do not have any crazy incidents!  See you fellows next at Laguna Seca.

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
Hello. I watched the first race last night and it was very entertaining. Some good close racing especially for positions 5 to 7.

I'm currently a couple of seconds off the pace, which I think is mostly lost at the bumpy top section. I've never had much success with tuning, so not really sure what I need to do to keep the BMW stable through turns 3 & 4. I've raised the ride height, lowered the fast dampers and rear anti-roll torque which has helped a little.

Does anyone have any advise or a setup I could try?

Thanks,
Chris

I played a little with the rear suspension and some differential.  Perhaps I can share my set up next time on PS4; you can also show me your set up and I can see where I can help depending on what your car is actually doing.  Sometimes set ups help; many times set ups are done to get yourself comfortable instead of an outright speed. 

Offline LinusFallimento

• your custom title
For the first race I qualified 6th. I think I need to work on my setup because I just couldn’t get it around faster (I think I was around 3s off the pace). The race was very intense from start to end with some frequent position switching between 5th and 7th. Finished in 5th because of an error on the penultimate lap by Kenny. He ran wide in turn 6 which gave me the opportunity to take back 5th position. Had to defend on the last lap and we finished with just 0.04s between us.

Indycar qualifying went well, but I needed a pretty extreme setup to get the edge on Jod. 20 minutes in I was in 2nd with 0.101s from Jod. No matter how many laps I ran, I just couldn’t beat that difference with a clean lap. I did abort some laps when I ran wide in the last corner, which would have given me an unfair advantage (I sometimes gained 0.3s running wide). Did some setup changes: aero down, closing the radiator opening and brake ducts. This made a huge difference and I gained almost 1s, more than enough to snatch pole.

The race started with a restart procedure, quite exiting since I’m new to all of this (and league racing in general). Comments on how I did are welcome! The first couple of laps I could stay in front of Jod, but I knew he had some serious pace so I needed to push every lap. Pushed it to far and I spun out between turn 6 and 7. Lost 2 positions so that was pretty disappointing. I pitted on lap 10 and went in full lock which gave me a 10s penalty for speeding in the pit lane. Felt so stupid, but I would push until the finish line. After the others pitted, I came out in 2nd, with lmntr 3s behind me. I couldn’t extend the gap, so I lost 2nd place due to my penalty.

I’m genuinely impressed by how clean the racing is and how everybody tries to help each other while still keeping an competitive edge, so thank you all for that!

I look forward to next week, hopefully we can all keep it on the tarmac!

Offline jod08

• Drive it like you stole it!
In the practice sessions I was way off the pace, about 2 seconds in both cars. I was expecting the track to be easy lol. I mainly struggled with the uphill hairpin part of the track. I found that stiffening the springs and raising the ride height really helped stabilise the car. I somehow managed to get second place in qualifying behind Filip who was about 1.5 seconds faster (untouchable lap time). Filip got off the line well with me, Tarbz and Lmntr close behind. On lap 1 I took the last corner wrong cutting the apex and putting me on the dirt. As I get back on track Tarbz comes past and Lmntr is right on my ass into turn one. Over the next 5 laps me and Tarbz battle for 2nd place. Until I manage to get up the inside of him coming out of turn 2. I can’t remember much from the middle of the race I think Tarbz and Filip pitted early and I was on my own. I ended up pitting lap 12 and came back out in 1st about 2 seconds ahead. Then on the out lap at the uphill section I lose the back end “noooooo”. This allowed Filip and Tarbz to get past while im turning around. I did manged to catch back up to Tarbz and we battled for the rest of the race. It was the last lap and I only had one shot around the outside at turn 2. I took it to fast and ran wide onto the dirt and very nearly span out while Tarbz drives away with 2nd. So I finished 3rd and enjoyed the race. Also for some reason my gear ratio was way off in the race compared to qualifying. I was redlining 5th gear for ages going into the last turn.

In the Indy car I ended up doing the similar height and stiffness adjustments to car. Shockingly I managed to get second in quali. I was on pole for ages but Linus in the last 5 minutes pulls out a stonking lap, 1.2 seconds faster.  Due to me being a dumb ass and seting the lap count wrong we had to restart the session before the race (cough twice lol ;) twat). Linus did well with the safety car restart I managed to stay very close as he bolted. I think we were both struggling with the cold tyres for a few laps but stayed really close. On lap 6ish Linus spun coming out of turn 5 right in front of me. “Wow shit” I was so close to wiping him out haha that would have been one hell of a mess. So I was gifted the lead and just kept my head down pulling a good gap to 2nd place. I decided to pit lap 16ish? and requested my pit stop and totally fucked up the last corner and spun out on the start straight. I almost had had to drive backwards down the track to get into the pit lane. At this point I thought fucking hell not again. Lmntr came past while I was in the pits and I came out in second place. What I didn’t realise is Lmntr still had to do his pit stop so I finished in first place amazingly.

I have my onboard saved i will upload when i get chance

BMW
<a href="https://youtu.be/2BNkz4CNHrE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtu.be/2BNkz4CNHrE</a>
INDYCAR
<a href="https://youtu.be/I-io-aJRIcI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtu.be/I-io-aJRIcI</a>
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 01:32:PM by jod08 »