Username: Password:

Author Topic: Round # 6, BMW 2002 StanceWorks and Indycar Cups, Texas Road, Dec 6th 2018  (Read 225 times)

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
Texas Road Course
Clear and Hazy
14 and 19 laps
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 01:55:PM by lmntr »

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
**Announcement**   The night transition will be done only in the BMW.  In-game qualifying time will be 14:00 at 10x time progression; this will accelerate time from about 14:00 to 19:00 in the 30 minutes of qualifying. The race will have the same time progression starting at 19:00.   Indycar settings will be our usual 13:00 qualifying and 14:00 race.

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
Congratulations to Phillips; he is really shining by winning both races!  :flag:
BMW Race:  I qualified in 3rd in a very close grid that would have you loose some with just a small bobble.  I had a couple of bumps that dropped me behind a little but I did not let them get away too far.  At the end I finished in 5th.
Indycar Race:  I qualified in 3rd again!  I had a good start and saw the fellows up front take to the right on their approach to turn 1 and I decided to take the left side and was planning to tuck in with the fellows in front of me.  Well, that did not work too well as someone had drafted me and because I was on a much tighter approach I decelerated but behind did not; so I was bumped in lost it into the wall.  I heard some commotion and was not sure what was going on so I cleared my mind and continued on.  My pit stop took ages to repair my damage by the time I got out, I already was one lap down and was in the mids of front runners.  I seemed to have the pace and but when I made my pass, the blue flag was waved and it was taking too long to go off that I decided to let him repass and just follow.  I did not want to risk getting disqualified for ignoring the blue flag too long.  The fellow in front was about to pass a back marker ( on my same lap) that I used him to pass when the back marker gave way.  Anyway, it was a recovery race and I finished in 7th.      Well, put my bad race behind and now it is time to concentrate my efforts for Watkins Glen; it is forecasted to be rainy!   :grin:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 02:41:AM by lmntr »

Offline LinusFallimento

• your custom title
I qualified 7th in the BMW, which was quite ok since I still haven't found out how to get around a track quickly in this car. I had a good start and managed to keep my position. My strategy was to keep going until the person in front of me pitted since I would lose the slipstream on the oval part. Managed to keep Roundrocket behind me for the rest of the race, although he came close sometimes.

Indy qualifying was pretty intense. Switched first and second place with phillips_2891 a couple of times and at some point we both set the exact same time of 1:05.200. He jumped me with another 0.160 a bit later, but I moved on to race setup since I had't done any runs on the primary tyre yet. At the start of the race, I lost some positions because pretty much everyone around me was on the alternate compound. In the braking zone of the first hairpin, I was right behind Filip_Cervin98 and I was braking pretty early because I was on the harder tyre and was on a high fuel load. Unfortunately, Filip was decelerating much quicker than me and since I didn't have anywhere to go, I pushed the brakes even harder and locked up all four tyres. Went straight on and hit Filip, for which I'm terribly sorry. We both had quite severe damage, so we fell back to last position and I kept behind Filip. Once we were on the banking of the oval, Filip slowed down to an almost standstill, so I proceeded to the pits. Pitstop took ages since I had to repair damage, but I didn't have to change tyres or add fuel, so I guess that saved me from more loss of time. I went back out in 9th position and had some steady pace so I focused on not making any more errors. Had a great recovery drive and managed to get up to 4th.

Offline chris99277

• your custom title
BMW : Qualified 10th and finished 9th, which I was really pleased with considering the standard of driving in this league.

I hadn't seen the announcement so the night transition was a nice surprise for me. First few laps were fun in the back of the pack. On one early lap I had someone alongside me on the outside coming into turn 1. I held the inside line but locked up and missed the apex, going very deep and coming close to the outside wall. Thankfully, whoever it was on the outside had great situational awareness, turning in undercutting me without any contact. Well done that man.

The rest of the race went smoothly, which is the way I like it.  :steeringwheel:

Offline jod08

• Drive it like you stole it!
The BMW Race was going well I think I got 6th in qualifying witch I was not to fussed about as I don't like the track. Managed to get upto 4th by the end of lap one. Thought I would pit on lap 4 went in to hot hit the wall and entered the pits backwards and got disqualified. Kind of pissed me off becuase I like that car more and had sit there and watch for 10 laps.

After the fuck up in the BMW and my consistent failures in the Indycar I didn't have high hopes tbf. I have a massive hatred for it if I'm honest. I think I got 7th in quali which I was happy with as it was with a full tank on the prime tyres. Started the race held my position and In to turn one it was like the parting of the sea. the track just opened up with people hitting people and hitting walls. Came out the corner in 2nd with driver boy close behind getting very close at some stages. Phillips just pulled away tbh I thought he was just taking it easy controlling the race. I definitely would not of been second without the first corner crash. I am surprised it was not a safety car.

Help needed. I find in the Indy car that the back end brakes loose when entering a corner off throttle at slow speeds. It feels like it has coaster wheels on. Any suggestions and what I can change would be much appreciated and thank you in advance.

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
Help needed. I find in the Indy car that the back end brakes loose when entering a corner off throttle at slow speeds. It feels like it has coaster wheels on. Any suggestions and what I can change would be much appreciated and thank you in advance.
Hello Jod, I read your description and sympathize with you.  I have fallen prey to with some cars to what I call the "steering point of oversteer”.  In other words, you go to through the motions of fine tuning your a particular car and the car handles well for the most part until you come up to a turn that requires more steering input than before, perhaps you push the car more and now you are having to turn the wheel more and suddenly the car begins to go into a uncontrolled oversteer. This makes you change your corner attack by making you guide your car in a bigger circle or go through the corner with a longer steady speed apex.  I believe Skanda even mentioned he had that before.  Perhaps and hopefully it is a matter of finding the one or combination of setup changes that will alleviate this condition.  I can share my set up with you next time online and see what the differences are.  At one time I thought this was a normal handling and that a driver would just have to deal with it; at other times I thought maybe I needed to go faster with the theory is if you go faster, instead of having oversteer now you move the handling to understeer?  And that the Aliens had mastered this technique ; But probably not,  that was my thought.   I think I already make my turns with a longer steady apex and that is the reason why I seemed to get a handle of it.   But then again, you have the faster pace so you could be showing me the fast technique. :grin: