Username: Password:

Author Topic: Round # 5, Formula Renault 3.5 and GTE Class Cups Barcelona GP Jul 12th, 2018  (Read 410 times)

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
Barcelone GP
Light Rain and Clear
20 - 17 Laps

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
My team scraped some funds and I donated some out of my salary to rent the Barcelona track along side water tankers.   :icon_mrgreen:   Well worth it!   I learned some interesting things about changing track conditions and tire wear, namely the left right rain tire;  it wears out fast! :icon_surprised:   I feel the left front tire wear will be a limiting factor almost like an equalizer.  The fast fellows will overheat it and wear out and the slower fellows will make them last :icon_neutral:    Hopefully I am somewhere in the middle of the range to enjoy the best of both scenarios.   :icon_biggrin:

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
I did a test race against 100% AI yesterday. My pace in the rain is seriously off. I struggled to do under 2 mins. The AI were banging in 1:45 which is weird because in the fry they were doing 1:44 in the dry. Glitch?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 09:42:AM by Skanda-Five »
Optimists live longer than pessimists.
Turns out they're both right.

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
I did a test race against 100% AI yesterday. My pace in the rain is seriously off. I struggled to do under 2 mins. The AI were banging in 1:45 which is weird because in the fry they were doing 1:44 in the dry. Glitch?
Yes, rain really hampers your pace.  I was able to just beat once the 110% AI drivers in the Renault but they did qualify better than I. I managed to get a run on them a little later in the rain; it also teaches you patience in your passing approach.   In the GTE I just can not keep up with them but at least I finish the race at least on the same lap (once).  I did dipped below the 2:00 mark in the GTE but it really takes concentration and self-control not to overdue it by overdriving or even loosing control as they can be very costly about 10 seconds each or more. So you will not make me overdrive this time like Bag managed to make me do in Sakitto.   By the way, my wipers were off on our last rain race.  I had my crew install a wiper switch by my steering wheel so it should not be a problem now.  :grin:

Offline thebag69

• 10tenths Moderator
  • your custom title
Absolutely no grip in the wet at this track judging by a previous race here.

This corvette is pants in the wet going off Monza. Let’s hope it feels better here.

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
Charlie Whiting and a number of Track Marshalls were unavailable today due to overindulgence in their party the night before. Because of this, the main gate remained locked and no team personnel was able to gain access and set up for the race.   :grin:   Consequently the race was postponed until next week but this will not provide any weather relief as it is expected to rain for the next following week as well.  This could come as a blessing as it will provide real life weather practice time to hone drivers’ wet weather skills.   :dance:

Offline jod08

• Drive it like you stole it!
Wow i see what you mean about the front left, In the FR after 4 laps it was half gone. Light Rain - Clear synced to race does that mean we will have approx 9-10 laps of rain? Then what are we talking before pitting for drys 2-3 laps after the rain stops? I dont think i am going to last till then on the first set of wets lol. I aint tried the ford gt yet but skan said the tyre wear is worse in the GTE  :wtf:. This coming from someone who makes a set of soft tyres last a whole race :shocked:. Plus i would imagine its is going to be a longer stint before dry tyres work on the GTE. Both races look like a 2 stop minimum for me. :eusa_think: Unless i stop for wets as the rain stops and just melt them in the dry and hope they last lol. Although it is Spain in July i would imagine the track is going to dry out very fast. Maybe the problem last night was a good thing and its time to do some testing. We get hard tyres on the GTE is that option for the FR too or is it just slicks?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 01:04:PM by jod08 »

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
I did a Formula Renault test last night and had about 6 laps from the wet tyre. There is no intermediate tyre, but that is exactly what is needed I reckon.

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
Online service is restored. Charlie Whiting showed up and dropped the keys off.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 01:39:PM by Skanda-Five »

Offline thebag69

• 10tenths Moderator
  • your custom title
Unlucky Creamy + Jod I didn’t deserve that win.

https://youtu.be/7juwGe7stNI

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
Good racing again last night guys. The restart was well executed so well done everyone. The GTE in the rain is a serious handful of understeer and sudden oversteer.

Apologies again to Cream for the FR start.

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
So unlucky on the fuel though Cream.

Offline jod08

• Drive it like you stole it!
Racing was good here I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Im not a big fan of this track and normally avoid it. But the rain added a lovely touch of uncertainty especially with the high tyre deg. The FR race started and everything was golden car the felt good the wet tyres lasted a surprisingly long time. Pitted lap 12 for slicks and I got slicks on the front and no change on the rear. But the game registered like it puts new wets on the rear :wtf:  It was like driving with the DRS stuck open so I had to pit again and made sure I got all 4 matching tyres. I managed to catch up Lmntr with 2 laps left then i spun in the puddle at turn one. I think he was on wet tyres because we ended up real close again on the last lap and I could see the groves. I thought it was going to be another photo finish pass on the line but he managed to stay in front.
https://youtu.be/gs9S1rAau6I

The Ford gt felt so shit in quali it just didn’t like the track and/or the conditions. I made some changes before the race and on the restart Lap (which went really well  :sign0098:) the car felt so much better. Green lights and away we go me and Lmntr are instantly battling for 7-8 laps and everyone knows Lmntr is not an easy person to pass. Then it was just a case of waiting and waiting for the track to dry out to put the slicks on. Chose my moment and another fucked up pit stop :shocked:. It didn’t change any of my tyres omfg i was so pissed. So again I had to do another lap and pit again this time I got 4 spanking new hard slick tyres like i wanted. As i left the pits I found myself racing with rocket and Lmntr for the last few laps. I got excited when i heard cream say he needs to stop for fuel but he ws way out of reach anyway. For some reason my ps4 spazed out and didn't record my pov for this race :icon_confused:. (I think i took a screen shot instead of save the video as i have nice still of the loading screen after the race :eusa_shhh:)

All in all it was a very good night of racing. Racing in the wet can be so much fun it kept everyone quite close. Also the strategy of pitting at the right time can make or break your race. As does setting the pit strategy up wrong!  Twice!!  lmao what a twat  :icon_sad:

The rain in Spain proved to be a pain.
I won’t be in a rush to race there again.
I only have myself to blame.
O the shame the shame…..  :banghead:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 12:05:PM by jod08 »

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
" I think he was on wet tyres because we ended up real close again on the last lap and I could see the groves."

The rain in Spain proved to be a pain.
I won’t be in a rush to race there again.
I only have myself to blame.
O the shame the shame…..  :banghead:

Wrong tires at the rear!  :shocked:  Is that what it was?  :eusa_think:    Roundrocket was fast approaching and I could not defend too long once he caught up in the Renault and so where you but luckily, I had enough gap to you.  my strategy instructions were correct unless the employee putting them in the warmers labeled them wrong.  Anyway, Roundrocket and you had a good pace.  The GTE was fine but I just could get enough pace out of it.  Still, I managed to salvage some good points.  And now, On to Road America!