Username: Password:

Author Topic: Round # 6, Formula Renault 3.5 and GTE Class Cups Road America Jul 19th, 2018  (Read 194 times)

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
Road America
Heavy Cloudy and Light Cloudy
16 -14 Laps

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
I did some practice in the Renault and I might not have enough since the 110% 100 aggressive AI are faster here by a couple of seconds. I gained a second or so after the practice but I could not break in to the 1:53s.    More practice is needed. :icon_surprised:

Offline Mattikake

• your custom title
Hey all. Just been checking how things are going. I'm sat here with a chapped sore rse having been driving a van in 40 degree cockpit heat of what is essentially just a mobile greenhouse with no aircon. Still, the rest of my freshly sweated torso is like a babies rse. Matches my mind...

Seems the FR3.5 results are all over the place. Bugger. If only I'd regularly finish before 10pm on a Thursday. So I thought I'd give some secrets away given I can lap anywhere within a few tenths of WR TT times.

Basically this car loves a really aggressive diff and right foot. I set the car up for docile turn-in by neutralising the toe more so the corner entry can be more progressive rather than abrupt, front toe like 0.0 and rear about 0.4. But I set the power and coast diff to something around 35 and the front wing about 3 points less that the rear. This gives the car nice mild power oversteer on power but gives it comparatively loads of front end grip. The way I've been driving it means, steady in, then 100% throttle mid corner and if it starts to run wide, turn more, don't lift. The front will still take it and the rear never goes in anything above 2nd gear corners.

I've also been adding viscous lock to 400-500Nm to cope with slow corner exits. Set the front end stiff and if there are a lot of kerbs set the front and rear fast dampers soft, really soft. It's much less twitchy on the kerbs.

Give it a try. You'll knock 3-4 seconds off your best lap times without even trying. Once you "get it" you'll start pushing the car instead of just hanging on. It's a car that responds better when being pushed. Trust the downforce. I started to learn this at Spa and have got more aggressive with it since. The more aggressive you drive the more it gives in lap time.

Loving the FR3.5 atm. I can win any public lobby race on any track even without practice and my rating has shot up as a result. :) You'll eat people alive on corner exit.

btw IIRC I can do 1:49s are RA. 1 public lobby full fuel open radiators race.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 10:10:PM by Mattikake »

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
Thanks for the recommendations Matt.   :great:   Even with the setup changes suggested I feel you still reduce about 2 seconds on your own.   :icon_biggrin:   I will certainly try it for sure.  Specifically, what does more viscous lock supposed to do to the handling?   Vandoorne might need your assistance at McLaren.   :grin:

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
I'm loving the 2 diff setting. 2:08.9 in the Ford GTE at Road America.
Optimists live longer than pessimists.
Turns out they're both right.

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
I managed to bang in a 2:07.9 in Qualy trim.

Offline thebag69

• 10tenths Moderator
  • your custom title
That was a fun race. Strategy messed me up but enjoyable.

Well done Jod and Ken not a bad first night chap. 

View of my race https://youtu.be/-8waTiceKFg

Offline thebag69

• 10tenths Moderator
  • your custom title
Thanks for the recommendations Matt.   :great:   Even with the setup changes suggested I feel you still reduce about 2 seconds on your own.   :icon_biggrin:   I will certainly try it for sure.  Specifically, what does more viscous lock supposed to do to the handling?   Vandoorne might need your assistance at McLaren.   :grin:

Iíd love to answer but I havenít got a clue. However if you look on Yorkeiís YouTube channel Iím sure he will have a vid about diffs. In fact Iím going to have a look now I need to get my head around it.

Just found it https://youtu.be/GInp3pXZH6c

What tyres did you run tonight?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 10:59:PM by thebag69 »

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
First order of business is an apology to Cream for turn 1. Sorry fella. I got in there way too hot. My fault entirely. I had a good run after that but only made places through other's misfortune.

In the GTE I had a great race. First 3 laps tussling with Filip and Nij. I figured fighting was costing me time so gambled on an early stop. I then banged in 6 hot laps and came out ahead of Cream and Bag. A temporary arrangement! At the end I passed Lmntr and Filip in the pits to take a well earned 5th (Nij disconnected). The strategy paid off. Great racing guys.

Offline jod08

• Drive it like you stole it!
Awesome night of racing last night, It kind of pisses me off that Iím going to miss 2 races.

First thing I thought when the cars loaded on the grid was how tight it was. Lights go green and I see Lmntrís wheel on my screen WOW how you squeezed through that gap was an Alonso moment I need to see that from a track side cam. Not sure what happened in turn one I did stay to the inside but you seemed to drop back I hope that was not my doing? It was a close race tbf any big off and you would of got passed. Sorry if I was slow going into the pits I had not practiced the entry before the race. I didnít want to risk anything with my luck in the last few races. Hope you didnít get to much damage
https://youtu.be/inblHVugHhQ

The GTE race was EPIC just EPIC start to finish. Lights go green and i tried to squeeze into a gap on the outside and rubbed along the wall lmfao. Tbf the first few laps was very clean as everyone stayed quite close. I had a awesome 5 lap 3 way battle with Cream and Kenny in fact me and Kenny battled until the checkered flag. I was expecting to pit lap 8ish for tyres but they seemed to last better in the race than they did in qualli. The last 2-3 laps my wheel was vibrating like a bitch on the straights it was very sketchy.
 https://youtu.be/fFUTifH0A1Y

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
Think of viscous lock as like trying to ride a bicycle through a liquid.
The higher the number, the thicker the liquid. 0 is water, 150 is oil, 350 is golden syrup, 500 is black treacle.

The thicker (more viscous) the liquid, the tighter the binding between the axles and the less oversteer.

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
What a Formula Renault race!  I did do an Alonso start!; We all started fairly even but somehow I saw I was gaining rapidly on Kenny and then I made split second decision to go right between jod was also gaining and Kenny.  I steered as straight as I could keeping in mind I did not know how close jod was.  phew!!!  Somehow as made it through to be honest it took all three of us to be just as precise not to rub a wheel.   Now, I am not sure if Kenny decided to ease the accelerator not wanting to get involved in a first lap turn 1 incident.   The rest of the race was trying to get close to jod and he only made a slight couple of bobbles that allowed me to close up but I was never any threat unless he had a moment that never happened.  Well, except for pit entry when he slowed down more than I expected or I just left my brake application impossibly too late, which ever way you look it.  This resulted in my front wing damage that caused my marked drop in pace thereafter, while keeping an eye on tarbz, who appeared to be gaining but still too far from me.  I finished a satisfying 2nd Place from 3rd.  If only someone could share my start pass just to indulge myself would be appreciated.  The GTE is another story, I am the type that changes setup very slowly and even though my changes this time improved my performance; I was still behind or very close.  My soft tyres began to affect me in the later stages and though I was controlling it, I managed to spin out while trying to squeeze a little more from them loosing about 7-9 seconds in the process and finishing 6th from 7th.  Now, I wonder if it is worth it replaceing tyres which take the same (9 seconds) and be able to push at the end when everyone has compromised tyres.  :eusa_think:   Congratulations to jod really coming strong on both races and to Kenny on his great recovery from the 1st race to finish 2nd place on the 2nd race.  And not to be discounted is fillip who I know will be a threat once he gets into the zone based on his pace!    See you fellows in Zuhai driving in the Fog!   
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 08:32:PM by lmntr »