Username: Password:

Poll

Select 1 Formula Car (1-5) and 3 classes ( 6-19) and 1 Weather (20-21)

Formula Renault 3.5
Lotus 78
Lotus 43
IndyCar
Formula Rookie
GT1
GT3
GT4
GRA
GTE
GTO
Prototype Class
LMP1
LMP2
LMP3
LMP900
VTCB
RD
TC
Use 2 weather slots lottery to include wet weather possibility as done before.
Keep Clear weather as is.

Author Topic: New season ideas  (Read 874 times)

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
New season ideas
« on: April 27, 2018, 01:28:PM »
Now that the Lotus 72D and GT5 season has come to a conclusion, we're looking towards our next season. This topic his here for all our ideas so that we can collect them and put them to a vote, so please let us know what you'd like for the upcoming season!
The downforce is strong with this one

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
Re: New season ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 01:33:PM »
I think the current format is nice the way we have it with 2 30 minute races in an open-wheeler and a completely different car, I don't see a necessity to change anything here.

My suggestions for open-wheel: Formula Renault 3.5 or Formula C

For the 2nd category there are so many nice cars to choose from: BMW Procar is fun and easy to drive, prototypes (LMP1/2/3) could be nice, but my vote would go to GT4, 8 different cars to choose from which could create a very diverse field.

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 01:36:PM »
Hmmm so many choices.
Optimists live longer than pessimists.
Turns out they're both right.

Offline Mattikake

• your custom title
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 01:53:PM »
I think the current format is nice the way we have it with 2 30 minute races in an open-wheeler and a completely different car, I don't see a necessity to change anything here.

My suggestions for open-wheel: Formula Renault 3.5 or Formula C

For the 2nd category there are so many nice cars to choose from: BMW Procar is fun and easy to drive, prototypes (LMP1/2/3) could be nice, but my vote would go to GT4, 8 different cars to choose from which could create a very diverse field.

Before suggesting the FR3.5 or Forumla C you should try them first. Last I knew these two, particularly the FR3.5, had a nasty habit to suddenly snap oversteer entering slow corners. In the Gavra leagues they ran the FR3.5 and every race was a random spin fest and everybody hated the car by the end of the season. It may be better now after all the patches but it should be properly tested first.

Likewise for GT4 cars. These have been seriously broken by patch 5. The hard tyres are terrible for random spins if they even get slightly hot (but still in the green operating temperature on the HUD). The tyres are even worse when slightly cold - not quite green. So the operating window is very small. You can easily send the tyres outside of this in 1 corner. Races tend to become one of tyre management, rather than racing. I think the soft tyres are ok though, at least they are on GT3 cars.

As said in the race thread, I think the best cars to use are ones that are predictable and easy to drive, and don't get caught out by PC2 "physics" if close racing is your goal.

I'm still going to push for reverse grids. These create a lot of fun and interest for those who aren't often battling at the front. And overtaking fun for those who are. In all leagues I race in that use reverse grids, everyone prefers them.

As for votes on cars. That skyline GR.A is superb fun. You really should try it. It's a slidey drift car if you push it. Although setup could be time-consuming given you have front and rear diffs to play with... Having said that at the Bugatti race I used a setup I had used once before from a completely different track and it worked pretty well.

BMW M1 Procar is a safe bet. The GTE's seem pretty easy to drive too, as long as the soft tyre model stays as it is for both cars.

How about the Megane Trophy? That was like a low powered GT3 car. Seemed pretty ok.

Lotus 78? Easy to drive slowly but I imagine that would be very snappy when you go past the limit of the ground effect.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 02:03:PM by Mattikake »

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 02:59:PM »
For open wheel I will go for my first choice of Lotus 78 ( Mario Andretti’s Championship, for promotional purpose ).  I can also be okay with IndyCar or even the Formula 3.5 though I must admit I have not tested.  FC is not my favorite car because of its very close transmission ratios and an engine that puts you to sleep!  For the second race I would be okay with Class GTE or GRA with a combination of fast and technical tracks.

We can explore the idea of Safety Car as explained before. The idea that those that had extensive damage early in the race would still be in the hunt for a podium finish by their damage repairs not costing them as much and it will open up strategies like diving in early for pit as Ferrari did with Vettel while the safety car was still in effect.

We can also explore some wet weather to make sure it works as intended for all drivers.   I would not like simply random because of some outrageous weather combinations; more like a lottery of race realistic weather slots.

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 03:04:PM »
@matti, I have tested all the cars that I mentioned, no problems with the handling of any of these. The GTE is driveable for me on the hard slick, on the softs I can't get them to turn in.
I also gave the Megane Trophy and the Clio Cup a try, but they were both completely undrivable

Offline legacy-8

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 11:46:PM »
My choices would be:

Open wheeler - Lotus 78

Then GR.A
PS4 Pro
Playseat with G29
Pcars Dash on iPad and iPhone
Race with no assists and cockpit view

Offline Mattikake

• your custom title
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 09:23:AM »
@matti, I have tested all the cars that I mentioned, no problems with the handling of any of these. The GTE is driveable for me on the hard slick, on the softs I can't get them to turn in.
I also gave the Megane Trophy and the Clio Cup a try, but they were both completely undrivable

Interesting that a pad user seems to be getting a diametrically opposing experience to a wheel user!

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 09:25:AM »
My open wheel would also be Formula C or Renault 3.5.
I like the Lotus 78 too. Having to manage power versus engine wear is a nice element to introduce.
I know what lmntr means about the Formula C engine noise though. It doesn't add to a sense of speed, that's for sure.

Got a new headset yesterday, Turtle Beach Recon 150. Impressive quality for £50, (€56, $78) and only 1 lead (instead of 3 for my old headset) so I'll be back chatting again next time.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 09:26:AM by Skanda-Five »

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 09:26:AM »
I can't stand FWD cars. Are there any good 4WD on the roster?

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 09:37:AM »
On the subject of weather, when we did it before, we decided ahead of time which races would be wet.
If we are going with rain again I think we should stick with this idea.

For me there's not much that's worse than working on a dry set up for days only to get three random slots of rain, snow and rain again.

Also the random element is too random (if that can be a thing!?!). Sunshine and then snow breaks the immersion. the weather types have to connect like cloudy and then rain or fog and then hazy.

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 11:36:AM »
I still find the wet tracks to be unrealistic in the way cars behave trough tiny puddles. Touching one with just the side of your tires can make you completely lose control while driving a heavy car even at low speed in a slow turn. It's almost if the game wants you to go aquaplaning whenever you just touch a bit of standing water.

Offline Mattikake

• your custom title
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 11:38:PM »
I still find the wet tracks to be unrealistic in the way cars behave trough tiny puddles. Touching one with just the side of your tires can make you completely lose control while driving a heavy car even at low speed in a slow turn. It's almost if the game wants you to go aquaplaning whenever you just touch a bit of standing water.

I second that. Every time they make global changes to the tyre more (pretty much every patch) other things are affected. Wet driving has gone from stupid aquaplaning on release to ok by patch 4 back to problematic by patch 5. I'll link some vids to this. In short though as Dnns said, the game treats puddles that are about 1mm deep as if it's 50mm. PC2 has the only wet tyres in the universe that can't actually clear water at any speed!

Having said all that, everyone is in the same boat, literally, but if you can't drive round the puddles, staying on the track is often pure chance especially when there is a puddle that straddles the entire width of the track. It's a very bad and unrealistic experience.

Light rain seems to work ok - the type that doesn't form puddles or only small ones over the course of a race, but anything heavier simply isn't fun.

As for random weather. lol what a joke. You can go from hot sun at Dubai to snow in the same race! WTF?!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 11:40:PM by Mattikake »

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 04:54:PM »
I hate to say it as it's normally my favourite class but Formula C is still awful. It sounds weak and puny and even in a so-called stable setup, there is a level of oversteer that would test the most accomplished drift driver.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 06:02:PM by Skanda-Five »

Offline Mattikake

• your custom title
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 05:35:PM »
I hate to say it as it's normally my favourite class but Formula C is still awful. It sounds weak and puny and even in a so-called stable setup, there is a level of overseers that would test the most accomplished drift driver.

You can go song way to fixing the overly responsiveness by changing the toe to a positive value.