Username: Password:

Author Topic: My last racing year  (Read 395 times)

Offline An0n

• why so serious?
  • Admin
My last racing year
« on: March 09, 2018, 06:49:PM »
Hi everyone,

some of you may know me, some of the newer members may not, i was alot more active and had more input when my racing wasn't as intense and i generally had more time between these races to race online and participate on the forum etc.
Luckily i have been able to let imntr take control and do as he sees fit.

Last year i participated in the UK superkart championship, a different world from the short circuit style karts i had previously raced, although my KZ125 was a missile, i still wanted to up my game and race at proper circuits, so i sold all my shit and had to start all over again but this time with a superkart.

I race a 450cc KTM superkart which will reach speeds of over 150mph and it's an absolute weapon to drive, plus i get to drive at all my countrys best tracks such as Donington park, Oulton park, cadwell park etc etc

Up against over 20 other competitors in my class, racing all over the country in my first year i managed to just win the championship, the amount of time, money and effort put in to do this was insane, and im doing it all over again this year, like last year our big 'grand prix' event is held at Donington park, it is also broadcast on TV  ( motorsport tv in the uk ) and i was running 3rd, but it started raining a little, and i made a rookie move by braking while one of my tyres was on the white lines and i went off the track and dropped down the order, here it is for your amusement

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOg-ALQldyY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOg-ALQldyY</a>

There is another video of me at cadwell park on my channel but it's not an exciting clip.

Here are some pictures of last season, for this season i am going for a completely new look on the bodywork and painting my helmet,  ( i'm going for a brawn 2009 style yellow/green and mclaren silver )  so im really trying to go for it again and carry on where i left off last season.

So to sum up this is why i've not been around much, but i'll try to join in when i can and any races you guys organise on fridays / saturdays i should be able to have a go at!

If you are interested in updates, our team facebook page is 'Missing the apex motorsport'
i try not to take it all "too" seriously, hence the daft team name.

cheers :flag: :eusa_dance:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 07:27:PM by An0n »

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
Re: My last racing year
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 08:37:PM »
I'm jealous, wish I could do what you're doing. Must be great fun to race at all the big UK tracks. Do you also drive abroad or does that raise the transport costs too much?
The downforce is strong with this one

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 01:56:AM »
Did I read this correctly?  You won the championship?  Congratulations!   :cheer: :cheer: :flag: :flag: :flag: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 07:53:PM »
That looks like seriously good fun. Good for you dude!
Optimists live longer than pessimists.
Turns out they're both right.

Offline thebag69

• 10tenths Moderator
  • your custom title
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 11:56:PM »
You Sir are absolutely mental. Must be as fast as a bike but corner a zillion times quicker.

I will never forget the day I saw Superkarts at Oulton Park. Absolutely the strangest day of motorsports Iíve ever seen. I absolutely loved it.

Ive been doing a little digging lately and Iím sure it must have been 1997 I was there in 96 when the outright lap record was broken. Iím guessing this was a year later when the British F2 / 3000 championship folded and a few cars ran in the BOSS championship.

Strange because it was the Fosters Circuit they donít use it much, but to see a old F1 cars at the same meeting as karts was crazy. I might be getting mixed up but Iím sure Rycard Rydell was driving one before he swapped to BTCC fame in the Volvo. Iím sure a kart at that time held the lap record for that layout. Although itís not recognised because in comparison because itís not a car.

https://youtu.be/Y_rYWEsYDD8 Think this was the car.

Offline An0n

• why so serious?
  • Admin
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 06:31:PM »
Thanks guys!

I can't deny, these things are amazing to drive, i highly recommend it! the laptimes we can do are insane compared to other 'racing cars' at a fraction of the cost, however this is still really expensive!  for example, at a 1 day race, i'll need 2 new sets of tyres, each set costs £240
i have 2 engines, each costing around £4000 each, before you start even setting them up, tuning etc.
Luckily due to last seasons results i've managed to get 2 good sponsors, 1 is where i work, in the composites industry, and the other is a TVR dealer, which really helps.

a quick update, had my first race of the season at Anglesey   ( those who may know it, know it's an amazing beutiful track, literally situated right next to the sea ) This season i've made alot of changes, the kart colour ( still not finished, but eventually im going for a 2009 brawn f1 style look ) we've lost around 8kg off the kart and ive fabricated new bodywork thats lighter and more efficient.  ( i work in the composites industry so made some carbon fibre bits )

The weekend went great, i won both races in my class, but the 2nd race was close, i fucked up the start by nearly hitting someone as he messed his start up, so as i braked to avoid hitting him, a few guys went past meaning i had to work my way through the pack, but it was great fun.

heres the video, it's a slow track but very technical, i was still having issues with the front end feeling very nervous but just had to get on with it and relax.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z4WLwVnMnM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z4WLwVnMnM</a>

some images, please bare in mind the livery is not finished so looks abit plain and bare!

i attached some carbon to my wheel for some of the switches, instead of mounting them elsewhere, this way they are easily useable

a small part of the bodywork fabrication, getting it prepared before being painted

i'll keep updating as the seaon progresses, my next race is at Snetterton, i've never been there before, so i guess it's time to fire up PC2 and get learning!