Username: Password:

Author Topic: Round # 3, Lotus 72D and Ginetta G40 Championship, Dubai, March 22nd 2018  (Read 303 times)

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
Dubai Autodrome GP
5.33km
16 Turns
Clear Weather
14 and 11 Laps

Offline Mattikake

• your custom title
Had a test today and I've discovered a few things.

1) The 72D is about 2 seconds quicker on every track we've been to than the fastest times in the Ferrari 488 GT3 on the steam PC lap times DB. At least for me. So that may well be your target time in fp at every track.

2) Overheating tyres seems to have little effect. My left front here goes fully red in about 3 laps but my lap times only drop off by a couple of seconds with no hideous understeer like you'd expect or other weird handling effects so I'd say don't worry about overheating the fronts. This could well be that the car gets all it's grip from the rear.

3) Overheating the rears is another thing altogether, however!

4) If you set a really low power diff setting it takes about 15mph off your straight line top speed (WTF?). I'll be posting a suspected bug report on that.

5) Low df ruins the fronts but why worry about it? High df saves the fronts.

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
I can manage a 1.57.xx but don't seem to be able to find much more pace. Running the 72D nearly stock since I have no idea how things are affected with dif changes etc.
The downforce is strong with this one

Offline Mattikake

• your custom title
You can find my diff settings for this car on my yt channel but it's more about preference. These days I am much more aggressive than I used to be and nearly always select a preload of 0 in any car. Harder but I find I can control the position of cars in a corner with my right foot much better.

Offline Mattikake

• your custom title
Congrats to the winners.

So can someone explain what's happening here? It seems like inconsistent diff physics to me, which I've already uploaded a couple of vids on this car and others that proves there is something odd going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCl4G7Ew1ME

Pay attention to 0:50, 1:00 and 2:50.

I thought I might have over-revved the engine and locked the rears but each time I got this problem I have about 1000rpm to spare. So it's not that and besides it *should* do it as I engage the gear not a second or so afterwards.

It's like it suddenly turns too much. Not rear "oversteer" but too much "turn" for the whole car. I get no tyre slip feedback from the FFB. It's like the rears dig in and get too much grip and turn the car more than they should. And it's extra weird the way it happens AFTER that car is balanced for the corner. Particularly at 1:00. You can see the car is settled for the corner THEN it over-turns. The only reason I caught it on lap 13 was because I was expecting it to happen and caught it visually (and as such almost too late).

edit: I've also noticed there's a slight bounce from the suspension the moment it happens especially at 1:00, but there is no bump on the track here. It's almost as if it happens when the preload kicks in. I have it set to 0. I wonder if it's getting a divide-by-zero error?

May duplicate this post on GTPlanet but they'll just come out with the usual driving error and "git gud" replies which I don't believe it is.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 11:10:PM by Mattikake »

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
Well, 2 races, 2 stories.
First race to my surprise I managed to qualify in 4th, had a great start off the line and so did Nij in 3rd, he had to avoid the car in front of him moved over to the right and had to slow down for the car in 2nd. I couldn't avoid him at that point and hit him on the rear which caused someone else to hit me on the rear, somehow I didn't sustain any damage and could follow Matt and Jac at a good pace. Matt spun out in the last corner on lap 1 and we were side by side for a little while until I got pushed off the track in my opinion, not sure what happened there, if Matt lost the car a bit or thought he was passed me already.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSTVzrzlj7k video of both incidents

After that I had a very long way to the pits, couldn't steer to the left unless I was doing 10kph and then the pitstop took 2 minutes and to make things worse, although I had it set to repair everything, I lost more than 15kph on the straight and was driving 4-5 seconds per lap slower than I normally would, so I got royally screwed by my pit crew. Someone is getting fired! Anyhoo, dead last in that race if you don't count Skan's DQ.

The second race was a lot more fun, had some nice battles with multiple drivers and in the very last lap The Bag and I went side by side to the finish line and I managed to beat him by inches for a nice 4th place.

Offline Mattikake

• your custom title
Sorry Dnns I thought I was passed. I saw you in my mirrors after turn 1 and then took turn 2 normally. I must've underestimated your exit speed from turn 1. Screwed my race too but none of it would've happened if I didn't get that weird physics problem in the last corner.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 11:33:PM by Mattikake »

Offline thebag69

• 10tenths Moderator
  • your custom title
First race I managed to get on in time didnít have time to set a Q lap. Took some getting used to the car which wasnít great. Pretty much blind in this car so Happy enough with my position. Sorry to Matt I wasnít concentrating I had a clear track glanced away and you were in front of me. George I used the set up I sent you last week but with 2 clicks of downforce out of each end. Far from good but stable. Nice to drive a single seater again.

https://youtu.be/UOigULce-K0

Second race had a few decent battles throughout the race. MRace I think his name is, nice clean driving.

Pit stops for some reason fixed damage then when I came out the car was like I was on ice. I donít know if I selected the wrong strategy or itís a bug. Annoying as I only have one win rather than 3 but enjoyable all the same.

https://youtu.be/2UOPZvkTsjI

Nice to see Dennis back in the swing of things.

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
Shit happens mate, I'm not upset about it, it's just a game and even pro drivers get into accidents like these, once these cars start to go wide there is little you can do.

Offline jod08

• Drive it like you stole it!
It was me that hit you, nothing I could do and tbf I came off a lot worse. https://youtu.be/0zGk1UfTD7o
It took me 1.25 in the pits to repair my car and when I came out i was + 2:30 and it felt like I had a completely different setup on.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 12:37:AM by jod08 »

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
My final lap in the GT5, battle for 4th with The Bag: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIZwT2oI3yQ

In this screenshot you can see how close we were when we crossed the finish line:

Offline Mattikake

• your custom title
What I could do in Dubai in fp https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm3wIBziXAg

Annoyed in this race!