Username: Password:

Author Topic: Round # 2, Lotus 72D and Ginetta G40 Championship, Brno, March 15th 2018  (Read 530 times)

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
Brno
5.40km
15 Turns
Clear Weather
14 and 11 Laps

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
I have been trying to improve my pace and having a total rethink on racing line approach but old habits are hard to break but at least I have a much stable car and have improved my pace maybe another second.  Today I spent much of the available time trying different set up changes one at a time to gauge handling feel and I believe my car is much improved.  I made a recording of a 7 lap lotus race at Brno.  Here is the link:  https://youtu.be/J1O7d-m6WvQ

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
Your FOV is mental. Are you sat the rear wing? ;)
Optimists live longer than pessimists.
Turns out they're both right.

Offline thebag69

• 10tenths Moderator
  • your custom title
Indeed thatís bonkers. Mr Tickle goes racing  :steeringwheel:

Have a google for a FOV calculator. A change might feel strange at first but it will help you out in the long run.

Offline Mattikake

• your custom title
Agreed. The less you can see out front (narrower view) the more the world slows down and you can hit all your braking, turn in and acceleration points better.

Btw just had a practice an I'm into the 1:57s with 50l of fuel with almost an unchanged setup from my Algarve one. Only issue is stopping the left front from overheating.

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
Yes, I have to agree myself that the FOV angle is too great and too far back  :grin: , in my defense I was trying to get rid of the ďlook over the shoulderĒ view activation when checking who is next to you ( which worked based on the video ) and to also have more of a visual cue of what end of the car is sliding.  I must admit I probably need to update it.   The calculator I found recommends a very low angle of 45 but I have to recheck my measurements.  I. might have to modify my seat and get closer to the screen.

As far as being about 5 seconds off bag, Matt and jack, it is about the same as in the first round when looking at the tables.  Perhaps if one of you posts a similar video then we in the back can study it carefully  :icon_smile: .

Offline Mattikake

• your custom title
No vids to upload yet, but you can find a hot lap of Algarve with setup on my youtube channel (and Nurburgring for that matter). What I am likely to use at Brno probably isn't going to be much different and the lap style is the same - early and hard on the power. Be aggressive I guess.

The fastest lap times I could find for the 72 at Algarve was a 1:43 so we were all quick by that standard. OTOH the fastest lap times I can find at Brno is a 2:02 and I beat that on my first full lap with semi-warm tyres while still exploring the lap... by 2s.

From what I could see from your laps you're mainly losing time by being too late with the throttle and too careful with the power. Corner speed and line was ok. You'll be losing most of your time on the exits and down the straights. I'm no alien though of course and I usually make at least 1 mistake every 10 laps. I noticed your tyres weren't very hot at the rear even by the end of the race with the AI. My rears will go to 180-200degF after 2 laps. Get them nicely green and you can go faster still of course.

Offline thebag69

• 10tenths Moderator
  • your custom title
Yes, I have to agree myself that the FOV angle is too great and too far back  :grin: , in my defense I was trying to get rid of the ďlook over the shoulderĒ view activation when checking who is next to you ( which worked based on the video ) and to also have more of a visual cue of what end of the car is sliding.  I must admit I probably need to update it.   The calculator I found recommends a very low angle of 45 but I have to recheck my measurements.  I. might have to modify my seat and get closer to the screen.

As far as being about 5 seconds off bag, Matt and jack, it is about the same as in the first round when looking at the tables.  Perhaps if one of you posts a similar video then we in the back can study it carefully  :icon_smile: .

It definitely helps sitting closer mate. I used to sit across the room from the tv before I got my rig itís much better now. The FOV calculator is a rough guide but I think there more geared up for triple screens. I just adjusted mine in chunks rather than go the full move in one go.

As for seeing other cars. Put the warning arrows on and use crew chief or the in game spotter.

Ive got a race tonight but if I get time after it finnished Iíll have a go into the lotus and make a vid for you.

Offline thebag69

• 10tenths Moderator
  • your custom title
I did 4 laps last night my fastest was 1.06 so didnít think there was much point posing a vid.

After watching your vid on a larger screen itís definitely worth changing fov. Iíd say at least be half that distance from the wheel.

I should be on tonight probably after 9 if you are free Iíll set up a lobby see if I can help you out

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
I stumbled onto a video explaining the different camera settings such as minimum and maximum angles and speed sensitivities besides the fixed FOV.  I reduced my FOV somewhat and did further setup tweaks and went 2 seconds faster down to 2:02s so I am happy about that.   I have a lot of work to do still to try to get closer to the fast fellows so I will continue working it it. See you fellows on track! :icon_biggrin:

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
Mine is set to 45. I'm doing 2:00.8xx. Hoping to break into 1:59s as race pace in the Lotus.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 03:32:PM by Skanda-Five »

Offline thebag69

• 10tenths Moderator
  • your custom title
I stumbled onto a video explaining the different camera settings such as minimum and maximum angles and speed sensitivities besides the fixed FOV.  I reduced my FOV somewhat and did further setup tweaks and went 2 seconds faster down to 2:02s so I am happy about that.   I have a lot of work to do still to try to get closer to the fast fellows so I will continue working it it. See you fellows on track! :icon_biggrin:

So it seems Iím a plonker. I wasnít driving the correct car last night  :embarrassed:

So I did a little vid tonight for you. Itís not a good lap at all but it may help you out.

I lowered it and changed bump stops and went low 58ís I think after 1 more outing. I sent George the set up. The car isnít to bad like that. Iíd personally think it understeers far to much.

Bruno i find itís very hard to be consistent. Itís so easy to gain / loose time. The fov will help you judge how far away from the edge of the track you are. In your vid on some parts you are a long way off. Have a look at replays from outside the car is a good way to see where your going wrong.

https://youtu.be/sDVPpn5ujEQ

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
I've just done 1:58.560 in race trim but with light fuel.

Your FOV is very similar to mine Bag.

Here's the calculator that I use.

http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/index.php?m=1

It's best run on a pc. Set your screen size and distance. Set the number of screens and click calculate.

I'm amazed by how much more stable the car is when you set it closer to realistic. Mine used to be 88. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 10:14:AM by Skanda-Five »

Offline Mattikake

• your custom title
Wheelies in the bmw procar https://youtu.be/5vkXqEszi2I

Physic bug in the lotus 72 https://youtu.be/xNUeLwjVzgI

Offline thebag69

• 10tenths Moderator
  • your custom title
Firstly nice to see Drift King Dennis again 👍 Nice to have more people on the grid, it sounded like everyone had a good race.

I was really lucky to win this TBH. After a good battle with Matt until we crashed.  Fighting my way back to the front, then coming out of the pits in 3rd with 1 lap to go.

From what I saw Jod and Rocket had an absolutely spanking battle throughout the race. I apologise if I was a little aggressive on the last lap not normally how I like to do things.

https://youtu.be/fs0GzwMtbtI