Username: Password:

Author Topic: Blowing Your Engine!  (Read 696 times)

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
Blowing Your Engine!
« on: November 11, 2017, 04:30:PM »
I have been doing some tests today to see what conditions can cause your engine to blow. Here are my results:
Tested at Barcelona 2pm 1st Aug 2017 (So it's hot!)

Driving a Formula Rookie with the radiator closed and revs kept below the redline, no damage occurred until my engine got to 126ļC (258ļF) where it showed up as 1% on both the game HUD and PCars Dash App. At 129ļC (264ļF) it got to 2%.
Pretty soon I got a message telling me to use less revs because my engine was running hot.
1 lap later I got a message that the engine revs had been limited by damage.
After another half lap my engine failed. At that point engine temp was 147ļC (296ļF).
Closing your radiator to such an extent will cause a failure but there are plenty of warnings before this happens.

After a getting a new engine, I tried just pushing revs beyond the redline in neutral and blew the engine up in less than a minute once it got hot. The revs seem limited to 7000 but that's still enough to accelerate the wear.

What's clear so far is that heat can blow your engine but redlining the rev counter will do it far quicker.
When we raced the Lotus Type 98T, turning up the boost not only raises engine temps but also engine revs so a failure is almost guaranteed unless the boost is reduced and cooling improved.

Downshifting too early can also raise revs and so damage your engine.

With this information in mind, I think that we should enable failures for the upcoming season as it adds an extra dimension to the racing strategy. What does everyone else think?

« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 09:25:PM by Skanda-Five »
Optimists live longer than pessimists.
Turns out they're both right.

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
Re: Blowing Your Engine!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 08:41:PM »
All the public practice sessions I do between Thursdays have been with malfunctions ON.  I know I mentioned before I did not have any engine damage but that was based on the game graphics; when I looked at the telemetry later, I did noticed damage somewhere between 15 and 20 on both cars.  I am always careful not to over-rev specially during downshifts.  I do believe it is doable.

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 11:18:AM »
I've done some more testing and identified what I think causes all the problems with mechanical failures not being notified.

If damage is turned off, no engine damage shows in the HUD but it does show in any App that you are using.

In the Lotus Type 98T, if I select neutral and then redline the revs I can blow my engine in little over 20 seconds. No indicator comes up on screen until my engine actually blows and even after it fails the HUD shows engine wear at 0%.

If we are going to have failures on, we must have some kind of damage enabled.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 11:20:AM by Skanda-Five »

Offline jod08

• Drive it like you stole it!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 12:36:PM »
lol I just thought the indicator was bugged and just didnít show the engine wear. Having mechanical damage on with no indication is crap. I joined lmntr in the rookie the other day and didnít know mechanical damage was on and blew the engine in two laps lol. Also in the 98t I only got a notification that engine was going to die when it was too late lol. And if remember right because I pre selected a pit strategy I could not fix my car in the pits. As the strategy was to basically not touch the car and just do a stop go lol. What is the level of car damage needed to make the in game engine damage display work? And are we not already using performance impacting now so isnít there only full damage left?

Edit: also the race engineer donít talk to me through my headset for some reason. So unless I try to read the subtitles I donít get warnings from him. Does anyone know how to fix this?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 12:51:PM by jod08 »

Offline SCClockDr

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 11:10:PM »
lol I just thought the indicator was bugged and just didnít show the engine wear. Having mechanical damage on with no indication is crap. I joined lmntr in the rookie the other day and didnít know mechanical damage was on and blew the engine in two laps lol. Also in the 98t I only got a notification that engine was going to die when it was too late lol. And if remember right because I pre selected a pit strategy I could not fix my car in the pits. As the strategy was to basically not touch the car and just do a stop go lol. What is the level of car damage needed to make the in game engine damage display work? And are we not already using performance impacting now so isnít there only full damage left?

Edit: also the race engineer donít talk to me through my headset for some reason. So unless I try to read the subtitles I donít get warnings from him. Does anyone know how to fix this?
I'm setup with all sound through my Sony Gold PS3 headset. With my TB PX4 I need to run a chat cable to the controller and have it on to hear the race engineer.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 11:12:PM by SCClockDr »
Regards
George

PCars GOTY on Original PS4 500G
G29 W/O Shifter, TB PX-4, DIY Arduino Button Box,
Android PCars Dash, & Crew Chief

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 10:44:AM »
The engine wear shows up in both performance impacting and full damage. If the graphic is grey, engine wear will not show up. If it's green then engine wear should show.

As for the engineer, time to use Crew Chief!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 10:47:AM by Skanda-Five »

Offline jod08

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 01:52:PM »
I thought we was using performance impacting damage with the 98T's at Imola? although i think i was hosting that so fuck know's what i set up lol. So to confirm we will be using mechanical damage from now on? I mean with the mechanical damage off we could of just used the 98T for a season  :steeringwheel:

I cant use crew chief as the headset i use goes over both ears to drown out my zoo lol.

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 12:08:AM »
Yeah I guess we could. I prefer the strategy of having it enabled though.

I wear a single ear bud under my headset. Works a treat.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 07:04:AM by Skanda-Five »

Offline jod08

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 01:06:PM »
I'm setup with all sound through my Sony Gold PS3 headset. With my TB PX4 I need to run a chat cable to the controller and have it on to hear the race engineer.
I tried this last night on cod and it means I cannot modulate the game sound separately to the voice chat with this enabled. So anyone who is loud on the mic dominates over the game sound. Although I have not tried this on p cars yet I would imagine it will be the same.
I wear a single ear bud under my headset. Works a treat.
Lol I would never have thought about doing that. I had a look at crew chief and looks really good and its free! well on android. But i have an iphone and it's not available for Ios  :shocked:. I hate apple so much i dont even know why i got an iphone  :banghead:

Offline SCClockDr

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 02:58:PM »
@Jod08 ask an extended family member for their old smart Android device. It only needs to connect to WiFi. Then you are good to go.

I think discord or Skype is a reasonable option. They run in the background of any device and if on android you will hear both the chat and Crew Chief. Set the general volume in the chat client and the specific volume in Crew Chief. Wired ear buds under the game headset & you are wired up like Vettel or Hamilton.
Regards
George

Offline jod08

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 02:44:PM »
With 3 kids i don't really get to keep any old tech its normally broken before its outdated. I can borrow one my kids tablet for now i just need to hunt out some earphones. I had an idea about using bluestacks with my laptop.

Offline SCClockDr

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 07:44:PM »
There is any idea! I was thinking aunts, uncles, or siblings.
Regards
George