Username: Password:

Author Topic: Round # 5, Formula Master, Formula Rookie, Brands Hatch Indy, Sep 14th 2017  (Read 2005 times)

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 03:57:PM by lmntr »

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
PC record is 0:46.686.

Forget fancy setups. This one is pure driving skill.
Optimists live longer than pessimists.
Turns out they're both right.

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
PC record is 0:46.686.

My best is a 47.8 and I usually lap in the low 48s
The downforce is strong with this one

Offline jod08

• Drive it like you stole it!

Well that makes me double fucked then. Ummm distraction derby time  :sign0151:

Is there no setup options on this thing?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 04:44:PM by jod08 »

Offline thebag69

• 10tenths Moderator
  • your custom title
Not driven it for a long time but no not much you can change from memory.

However I think this combo should make for some very close racing. Not many places to pass and no aero settings the cars are all the same speed it's hard to pass.

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
I think 95% of the overtakes will be because someone made a mistake and went off-road for a moment. I raced the AI with a start at the back of the full grid, but it was nearly impossible to reach the podium, I was only a bit faster than the AI and really have to be right on their tail through the first corner (overtaking there is suicide, the AI will ram you) and then take them in turn 2 (Druids) and chase down the next guy which doesnt go fast if you're only a few tenths faster than them.

Offline thebag69

• 10tenths Moderator
  • your custom title
It's a real hard place to pass as you say - please everyone take note if you go for a pass make it stick. No dive bombs here. 

Perhaps some don't know but these cars in different forms ( they used to be 1.6 now 2L at this track used to be a huge factor in someone's real life racing career at a weekend called the Formula Ford Festival.

Herbert, Ratzenburger, Irvine, Magnussen, Webber, Button, Davidson and Tandy have won this weekend.

I don't care who wins but please please please race with the head here and I promise you will enjoy so much more than ramming through.

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
There's no downforce and there are no diff settings.

Dyr_gl has a great base setup on his youtube channel. I'm using it but I'm running lower ride heights and higher rear pressures.

Watch out for the corner entry oversteer if you tip it in too quick. I'm finding it almost impossible to hold a slide at the moment.
Especially at turn 1.

1:48.3 is my best in race trim. I'm averaging about 1:48.9xx.
Optimists live longer than pessimists.
Turns out they're both right.

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
I have hated turn 1 since I drove Brands Hatch for the first time  :banghead: It's so easy to lose it there, although my current setup allows me to slide a bit without spinning, now my main worries at that point are going to fast and thus ending up in the gravel and being side-by-side with someone, it can be really hard to stay on your line, especially if you're on the inside.

edit: Just set my PB during warm-up with almost 'full' fuel: 47.669
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 01:06:PM by Dnns84 »

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
Sorry fellows, I have been incommunicado during my business trip and was only able to glance at the discussions.    I read the part that the Rookie Formula does not have downforce settings or differential settings.  I hope it is not going be similar to the Mono when I was testing it.  Not that I do not enjoy it but because I thought I was doing well until I did a session with proben55 and he blew me away.  Later, he asked if I was using assists, when I replied I did not, he yelled at me I must for this car although he did not come clear what assists.  Those that know me well know I do not use assists even if it might make me faster.  So, it is the same as mono then I am in trouble.   I have not turned a wheel in the Rookie yet.

Offline jod08

I was quite happy when you guys said there is not much you can change with this car. I thought lovely no fucking about i just need to learn the track which again looks easy its about 6 turns lol. I had a quick look yesterday and i can not get round the last corner without a massive drift or spinning off the track! Lift off oversteer is a killer in this thing. When i did manage a lap it was a 50: something. So i need more practice than i thought   :embarrassed:

Dyr_gl has a great base setup on his youtube channel. I'm using it but I'm running lower ride heights and higher rear pressures.
Thanks skan ill check this out later

I do not use assists even if it might make me faster.  So, it is the same as mono then I am in trouble.   I have not turned a wheel in the Rookie yet.
Don't do it stay away from the dark side lol. I think most of the people in here don't use the assists. It takes the piss going in and out the options to turn them on and off anyway. Try using default setups and no assist lmfao on some cars thats a real struggle. Then try that while using a control pad Dennis you are hard core mate lol.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 09:39:AM by jod08 »

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
Been practicing quite a bit and I think I have my setup and the best way for me to drive this track. Was having some good fun against the AI yesterday and they only made me spin once (getting rammed while overtaking a backmarker)! But I had some very good pace for my doing, a large portion of the race I was lapping high 47s and I was overtaking in places where it shouldn't be possible ^^ Managed to lap the entire field and also started from the back.
Stock setups without assists are most of the time undrivable for me, there is just so little input you can give with the thumbsticks, if I don't set up the car specifically for controller use it becomes undrivable. If we ever did a competition with stock setups I don't think I'd take part since I'd have to drive with stability assist on which is boring: spinning becomes impossible and also controlled oversteer into a corner can't be done. You can throw the car into a corner like a maniac and don't get punished for it.
I only use ABS, mainly because I hate driving without it and I sometimes turn on TC during a race, but only if I otherwise get in trouble with my rear tires, because with TC on I'm 1-2 seconds per lap slower on an average lenght track.

Offline jod08

Been practicing quite a bit and I think I have my setup and the best way for me to drive this track. Was having some good fun against the AI yesterday and they only made me spin once (getting rammed while overtaking a backmarker)! But I had some very good pace for my doing, a large portion of the race I was lapping high 47s and I was overtaking in places where it shouldn't be possible ^^ Managed to lap the entire field and also started from the back.
Stock setups without assists are most of the time undrivable for me, there is just so little input you can give with the thumbsticks, if I don't set up the car specifically for controller use it becomes undrivable. If we ever did a competition with stock setups I don't think I'd take part since I'd have to drive with stability assist on which is boring: spinning becomes impossible and also controlled oversteer into a corner can't be done. You can throw the car into a corner like a maniac and don't get punished for it.
I only use ABS, mainly because I hate driving without it and I sometimes turn on TC during a race, but only if I otherwise get in trouble with my rear tires, because with TC on I'm 1-2 seconds per lap slower on an average lenght track.

How is the tyre and fuel usage looking on this?
Also how is you pad mapped I have no space left for mapping kers, wipers & pit buttons let alone tc sc and abs. Infact what do i have mapped :eusa_think: the only one i don't use is the change view button not sure why that's still mapped. I might have to get a button box sorted for p cars 2.

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
You can't map everything, I don't have windscreen wipers mapped because I don't need it and ABS is set to always on, so no need to map that and the same with SC which is always off. Got my lights at x (handy to blink) Kers = O, DRS = Square, look back = triangle, TC = d-pad up and I shift with my right stick. At that point I still have a number of buttons for things like clutch (r1), but not enough to change seating position or brake bias during the race.
Fuel is not something to worry about, max is 33l and I use about 20 in the race. Tires depends on your driving, but the wear is pretty low.

Offline Mattikake

• your custom title
I hate this car and track combo. The Rookie is no rookie car on the limit. It's very twitchy and 0.01s too late on braking or 0.01s too early on the throttle can have you going wildly off line. The rookie really shows up PCARS tyre model failings. Unlike the others this is a car I've actually driven in anger round a track - well actually a formula first but they are essentially the same car. The rookie in PCARS handles nothing like a FF. Nothing. A FF you can have 4 wheel neutral drift round every corner and it's easy and graceful. Indeed that is how to do it. But this thing it's impossible to be consistent. And I've just tried that with SC on or off. With it off you can get more slide in, round and out of corners but with it on it's less snappy on braking. I've found SC is good for braking at the last corner actually but off everywhere else. Could give that a try in the race...

atm I can't break 47.4 for the reasons described above. You have to be so accurate on your braking points to what seems like to the millimetre. Much more than real life IMO. Potential says 46.9 though.