Username: Password:

Author Topic: Round # 9, Formula Gulf, Oschersleben GP, July 20 2017  (Read 3123 times)

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
Oschersleben GP
Light Rain and Rain
3.66km
15 Turns
29 Laps

Offline Mattikake

• your custom title
Re: Round # 9, Formula Gulf, Oschersleben GP, July 20 2017
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 01:07:PM »
Fastest dry times I can find atm are 1:25s so again it looks like 1:32s should be a rough target in the wet?

Had a quick go yesterday with my Brno setup and could get 1:34s. First impressions are this is a right Mickey mouse track. Painful long corners with violent Kerbs and nasty bumps on narrow exits. I can't imagine anyone likes this track on SIM or real life. I will delight at not doing much practice here.

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 06:51:PM »
I quite like this track. It can provide with some really close racing, but you have to make a really good move to pass. I looked at our pre-season track vote and this was one of the most popular tracks getting more votes than the Nürburgring, Hockenheim, Sakitto, Laguna Seca and a track like Barcelona didn't even get enough votes to make the calendar ;)

Did a short practice session yesterday and my fastest race lap was a 1.36.xx
The downforce is strong with this one

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 09:59:PM »
Either I was looking at the wrong data (program I normally use suddenly stopped working) or I improved a lot overnight without changing the setup. Today I was lapping 1.33's both during light rain with a full tank as towards the end in full rain when my fuel got lower. I did a full race against 15 AI opponents at 100% and was really close to lapping the entire field twice. So I got a lot of practice overtaking ^^

edit, yeah I was looking at sector times of the first race, that's why I got confused :P
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 05:10:PM by Dnns84 »

Offline thebag69

• 10tenths Moderator
  • your custom title
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 12:22:AM »
It's a fun track to drive it's just a little diffident from others. As Dennis said you normally get some good racing here + it's very easy to make a mistake.

Offline Mattikake

• your custom title
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 05:52:PM »
Each to their own I guess.

I hate bumpy tracks. I hate tracks with long corners and nasty exits that punish you for being too eager on the throttle. I like to get on the throttle asap. Long slow corners are even more painful for this.

I love riding kerbs so hate tracks where the kerbs aren't really extensions of the tarmac.

Oschersleben seems to have all this. Not my kind of track. It doesn't reward or encourage you to push and try to steal time between braking and acceleration points. So I haven't been on it again since discovering all this.

btw, how much can you cut the chicane at the back of the circuit - turns 8, 9 and 10? Seemed you could wipe out most of the bollards without penalty.

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 06:24:PM »
The game is really forgiving with that chicane, too forgiving since it let's you cut the corner with 4 wheels off the track. However our rules state that you have to be with at least 2 wheels on track all time and people who are cutting corners too often will get a penalty after the race. You don't have to worry if it happens a couple of times, but doing it persistently will get you a very severe spanking by Skanda and none of that bare hands over the trousers stuff, no, think more like wooden paddle on your bare sunburned ass  :grin:

Offline thebag69

• 10tenths Moderator
  • your custom title
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 11:36:PM »
Personally I'd air on the side of caution with the chicane bite to much and you will get a slow down penalty + that corner can bite you in the ass big time.

I had a quick go tonight, I'm having nightmares about the first 2 corners already.

Offline Mattikake

• your custom title
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 11:34:AM »
Nope. Had another go and the more I drive this track the more I hate it. Racing drivers often/mostly and me, like fast quick corners with nice Kerbs and traction zones they can attack. Oschersleben is unique in that it offers NONE of this. It's remarkable. It's like it was designed by someone who has no interest in racing. There's always those tracks you don't like in real life or sims and I've probably driven hundreds but right now I'm struggling to think of a place that is less enjoyable. Thinkng of skipping this race because 30 laps of this dirthole is not my idea of fun. I'd rather spend an hour having a constipated sh!t if it s scored points. No, really.

Making it a wet race just compounds all the negative aspects.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:37:AM by Mattikake »

Offline jod08

• Drive it like you stole it!
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 02:12:PM »
lol Matt some real hate for this track you and us might be lucky and you get glitched out again. I have only ever been on this track once in the dry with the ruf gt3. I remember having to wait ages before accelerating out the corners. The chicane penalty has a huge impact as everyone will just fly past. It cost's you more like 10 seconds i did not cut it again after that lmfao. I ain't had time to get on in the gulfs and after the last weeks wet race i can see it being another tour at the back of the pack :sleepy:

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 03:08:PM »
I will be doing my usual sight-seeing cruising and most likely starting near the back.   My team is a very low budget operation and can not afford anti-lock and traction control. :icon_sad:   Plus I am a pay-driver!  :icon_mrgreen:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 03:09:PM by lmntr »

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 11:30:PM »
I will be doing my usual sight-seeing cruising and most likely starting near the back.   My team is a very low budget operation and can not afford anti-lock and traction control. :icon_sad:   Plus I am a pay-driver!  :icon_mrgreen:

I have asked my team not to wind the elastic band too tight. I creates wheelspin in the wet.
Optimists live longer than pessimists.
Turns out they're both right.

Offline jod08

• Drive it like you stole it!
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 10:43:AM »
Managed to get on last night and this track is bumpy as fuck. Especially the last corner and there is no avoiding them regardless of line. I also struggle to keep my car on track for the fast left left then slow right corners before the chicane. I try to be fast and then just understeer wide :embarrassed: I can get into the 1.33/4's but after 8 laps both my front tyres are gone and i struggle to get 1:36's. So i need to look at prolonging my tryes :17: or i might be tempted to two stop this one. I have not looked into pit stop times but if i'm going to lose 10-12 odd seconds per stint i might as well hit pit lane twice if there is not much in it.
Dnns on your practice race did you 1 or 2 stop?

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 02:28:PM »
Managed to get on last night and this track is bumpy as fuck. Especially the last corner and there is no avoiding them regardless of line. I also struggle to keep my car on track for the fast left left then slow right corners before the chicane. I try to be fast and then just understeer wide :embarrassed: I can get into the 1.33/4's but after 8 laps both my front tyres are gone and i struggle to get 1:36's. So i need to look at prolonging my tryes :17: or i might be tempted to two stop this one. I have not looked into pit stop times but if i'm going to lose 10-12 odd seconds per stint i might as well hit pit lane twice if there is not much in it.
Dnns on your practice race did you 1 or 2 stop?

I could quite easily manage a 1 stop, I think I once did a 17 lap first stint, by then my fronts were gone. Did a very short practice session yesterday, but I did manage to drive a 1.32.8 (my personal best so far) after a couple of laps, so with still about 25 liters of fuel in the car.
Having to do 2 stops can cost you quite a lot of time since the pit entry and also the exit is pretty long.
I do make sure the tire pressure for the first stint is optimized for light rain and when I make the pitstop I put on tires for full rain.

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 04:16:PM »
I have not done a lap yet in the gulf at this track.   I did it though with the Mercedes this Monday; it almost feels like Kubica’s test with the 2012 car in F1 although he is not allowed in a current F1 season track.  Anyway, today is going to be a learning experience and hope get a handle on the tires.  See you fellows later. :great: