Username: Password:

Author Topic: Round # 1, Formula B, Nurburgring GP, February 9, 2017  (Read 4533 times)

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
Re: Round # 1, Formula B, Nurburgring GP, February 9, 2017
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 09:24:AM »
1:49.xxx was my average wet lap time. I struggled for rear end grip on corner exit. Any heavy weight shift also had me spin easily. I found lowering rear anti roll bar helped a lot. It was easier to catch the slides and I can do this on the fly too which is great. My main concern now is tyre wear. I may have to stop more than once depending on the weather.
Optimists live longer than pessimists.
Turns out they're both right.

Offline Rob

• your custom title
    • youtube
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 11:49:AM »
I had a wee go in the rain with only changing to full wet tyres from the setup I raced a few weeks ago at Nurburgring. After 4 laps i was in the low 1.48. I don't know if its on pace or not but my point is that the rain adds another dimension but with all the assist it seems a bit artificial to me.

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 12:29:PM »
That's why I'm changing roll bar settings. I'm trying to keep all the assists off.
I just prefer the way the car feels.

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 02:27:PM »
All assists on is just boring. You can't do much wrong and you're quite a bit slower than people driving without assists. I sometimes turn TC on during a race if my rear tires are becoming critical and I don't want to pit (yet), but I immediately notice a drop in pace, but usually my front tires have more issues than the rears.
I do always drive with ABS on, since I just hate driving without it driving the way I drive.
The downforce is strong with this one

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2017, 02:47:PM »
I don't disagree with assists. I think having them available actually makes racing better. It gives confidence to newer racers and it's useful for veterans too. I use TC for race starts but turn it off before turn 1.

I'm nerdy enough to have made a button box out of a spare usb keyboard so I have access to all functions that I can all the time.

Without it, I would be much more ready to use TC, SC and ABS.

Roll bar and brake bias settings are a massive help to me.

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2017, 03:54:PM »
I know the ability to change settings on the fly is available if you plug in a keyboard or other device, but I have never done it.   This season is going to be difficult as I will continue that approach even in the rain races.  I probably will be passed at the start since I will struggle a bit with traction to get going.  I know other views are available but I will continue with my helmet view, I hope the others are aware some of us are using cockpit or helmet and it will be difficult for us to see them coming or even seeing the driver in front!  As I mentioned before, my wet pace is about 1:46-1:47 although my first laps are probably going to be about 1:48s just to get everything up to temperature and feeling my way.  Once it dries, the best I can do is low 1:42s.    I probably need to get together with my teammate sometime in case we are next to each other and are ready to pit!   See you guys later in the mock race, it is going to be an eye opener.

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2017, 03:58:PM »
Oh me neither, I all for all assists being available if you want them and they can give you the time to get used to a car and more confident driving it, so that you can gradually start turning them off. I wouldn't have joined this league if they weren't allowed because at the start I wasn't ready at all to drive without assists but I had (and still have) a lot of free time so I was able to put in a lot of practice and I believe after race 1 of the season (and the socials that we drove before the start) I haven't used SC anymore and it just feels more rewarding to complete races driving on the limit and not spin out.

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2017, 04:04:PM »
I know the ability to change settings on the fly is available if you plug in a keyboard or other device, but I have never done it.   This season is going to be difficult as I will continue that approach even in the rain races.  I probably will be passed at the start since I will struggle a bit with traction to get going.  I know other views are available but I will continue with my helmet view, I hope the others are aware some of us are using cockpit or helmet and it will be difficult for us to see them coming or even seeing the driver in front!  As I mentioned before, my wet pace is about 1:46-1:47 although my first laps are probably going to be about 1:48s just to get everything up to temperature and feeling my way.  Once it dries, the best I can do is low 1:42s.    I probably need to get together with my teammate sometime in case we are next to each other and are ready to pit!   See you guys later in the mock race, it is going to be an eye opener.

Looks like your pace is faster than mine... I believe we can both do a pitstop at the same time because of the limited grid on the PS4 in multiplayer races. I think all tracks that we're racing on have at least 16 spaces in the pits.

Offline Lee

• your custom title
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2017, 05:39:PM »
I'm getting on well with dry set up and set up email, got down to 1:40's in dry, wet not good at all for me, will try to practice this evening :steeringwheel:

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2017, 10:23:PM »
I want to try something, I'm adding the csv file I use for everyone's lap times to this post and people who are interested can download the best program to open it here: http://www.trustfm.net/software/utilities/CSVpad.php (it's also supposed to work with Excel, but when I do that it is a real mess.

-edit-

yeah, this should work. Anyone interested in their lap times, just download the program I linked to and download the CSV files from my post (I will post one after each race). Open CSVpad and from within that program you select "open" and choose the file you want to open, somehow it doesn't work if you click the file and select 'open with ...'
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 10:29:PM by Dnns84 »

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2017, 12:30:PM »
Thanks for the race database Dnns84, I usually open it with my iMac and I am able to see it.   I messed up my strategy a little bit and that forced me to stop again.  But even if I had not done so, I would have been difficult to keep you and others behind in the latter stages.   You were already getting closer as my rain tires were wearing out.   We have very similar pace, let us just hope we do not turn to teammate rivalry  :icon_mrgreen:   as in Hamilton and Rosberg :icon_biggrin: !   I asked during the practice but did not hear it as my volume was down on my headset, we have to test if we have in fact different pit areas and it will not matter if we pit at the same time. :great: .

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2017, 01:15:PM »
When you were in the pits I pressed the pit stop request button and I didn't get a "pitbox occupied"  message. But sure, we can do a quick test during the practice today.

Offline thebag69

• 10tenths Moderator
  • your custom title
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2017, 01:35:PM »
Pit stop question - as I understand it the rain could stop at any time so obviously makes having a pre decided strategy in place. What's the best way to do the stop ? Do you just set the tyres on set up to set by weather or do you edit the strategy when you enter the pits ?

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2017, 02:26:PM »
Pit stop question - as I understand it the rain could stop at any time so obviously makes having a pre decided strategy in place. What's the best way to do the stop ? Do you just set the tyres on set up to set by weather or do you edit the strategy when you enter the pits ?

It is a given that you will have to go for dry tires when you pit. I would not even consider intermediates and just pit when it is dry enough. The tire choice is yours wether you go soft or hard.  Now, fuel is tricky; do you want to start heavy and be slower and just pit when you need dry tires or do you take a chance by adding just enough fuel for about 2/3 of the race and then adjust it when you pit?   Either way, I think it is best to preset.   To start the race, it has always rained every session but you never know, the safe set up would be tires set by weather.

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2017, 02:38:PM »
I have multiple strategies ready to go, so when I'm driving into the pits I can select "view saved" and quickly select the strat I want. But that's in case something special happens, I do have a main strategy for the race tomorrow, based on the test runs, so the type of tire I want on the pressures that make them suitable for a variety number of laps.
Yesterday it rained for 15 laps and it started again in lap 22-23, but thank god it didn't get wet enough to make things slippery again.