Username: Password:

Author Topic: Round # 1, Formula B, Nurburgring GP, February 9, 2017  (Read 3730 times)

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
Round # 1, Formula B, Nurburgring GP, February 9, 2017
« on: January 26, 2017, 01:18:PM »
Nurburgring GP
5.14km
16 Turns
Rain and Clear
24 Laps

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
Re: Round # 1, Formula B, Nurburgring GP, February 9, 2017
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 05:36:PM »
 :siren: Question: Do we want everyone's backlight on during rain races to prevent accidents due to poor visibility? We could make it a mandatory rule in which case everyone should map a lights button to their wheel/pad if they haven't already. I would be in favor of this and even if others don't I will turn my light on to prevent someone rear ending me. :siren:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 05:36:PM by Dnns84 »
The downforce is strong with this one

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 12:41:PM »
:siren: Question: Do we want everyone's backlight on during rain races to prevent accidents due to poor visibility? We could make it a mandatory rule in which case everyone should map a lights button to their wheel/pad if they haven't already. I would be in favor of this and even if others don't I will turn my light on to prevent someone rear ending me. :siren:

It is a good idea.  I had at least a couple of practice races in the rain where it was impossible to see where the car ahead was.  I was able to see somewhat where I was going by concentrating on the edges of the road and on time elapsed from point to point to have a good idea where I was.   The lights will be mandatory to help let you know where cars are.   

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 11:25:PM »
Do we want a mock race this week with the same conditions as the thursday race will be? If so, what day and public or private?
I'd say let's do it on tuesday (wednesday is also fine, but it doesn't give you much time to adjust things and practice for the real race) and make it private so also people who are late can join without issues. What do you guys think?

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 01:54:AM »
I cannot do it on Tuesdays, Wednesday is doable for me.    I think it is more important to run a private mock with the same weather (rain) as our first round than to hold a recruiting race.  A private practice should give us a good idea what we should expect for the first race without worrying about random drivers despite the need to fill the grid.   New drivers would be able to join us but they have to request it, so we should be promoting it.  I would appreciate if the membership at large would also promote our league and upcoming season while on your  many public races.

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 04:02:AM »
Fine by me, I still need to work a bit on my car to get more comfortable in the wet without compromising too much for my dry set up. Should be done by wednesday, if not I'll just fight at the back of the field :P
By the way: damage set to visual only? That way everyone gets a full practice even with a crash. Of course performance impacting on thursday :)

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 03:13:PM »
Visual damage and ghost car on as in our socials.  :icon_smile:    Hopefully,  I will do okay in Nurburgring, I am struggling a little bit with the car.   I am doing 1:46s-1:47s in the rain, and later when it dries out I can only get down to 1:42s.   The biggest problem in the rain to keep pace is when I get closer to the next driver in front, I just can not see them!   so be sure to turn those lights on!

Offline thebag69

• 10tenths Moderator
  • your custom title
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 12:51:AM »
What conditions, times and dates are you setting the lobby to ?

I did have a quick go in the car last night and made improvements tbh it couldn't get any worse than what I had.

I have no idea about tyres etc for this car or how the weather etc works and how I need to set pit stops up

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 01:36:AM »
What conditions, times and dates are you setting the lobby to ?

I did have a quick go in the car last night and made improvements tbh it couldn't get any worse than what I had.

I have no idea about tyres etc for this car or how the weather etc works and how I need to set pit stops up

This is a video by one of our newest members: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMja_Cr3ORs&t=11s it's an older vid, but it proved helpful to me as a baseline, but I did change a couple of things to fit my driving style.

The lobby/race times are the same as last season with the difference that we now do 40% of an F1 race, which is usually about 40 minutes and there are a few tweaks like 2 weather slots and higher tire wear.

So we kick off at 8pm UK with 1h optional practice, 15m quali, 5m warm-up and this week a 24 lap race.
The race has 2 weather slots: the first is "Rain" the 2nd is "Clear" Weather progresses at 2x, but is not really predictable.
Qualifying will be wet and the race also starts wet. However, I've run multiple tests and I have seen the rain stop after 8 laps but also after 16 laps and in between.
Race start is 14.00 with realtime prog. and is set on "race date". Tire wear x4, real fuel, performance impacting damage.

This wednesday we have a mock race with the same settings, also private, but no damage (just visual) and ghosts are allowed.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 01:39:AM by Dnns84 »

Offline thebag69

• 10tenths Moderator
  • your custom title
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 08:13:AM »
Cheers fella I will have to have a go in the wet I've not done much wet running before

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 06:02:PM »
Anyone else done any testing at Nurburgring?

So far I'm hitting 1:42.xxx in race trim in the dry and the AI at 100% are nowhere near that.

The reason that I ask is that I am normally bad at this track and I'm surprised that I'm quicker than them.

Doing some running in the rain later.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 06:04:PM by Skanda-Five »
Optimists live longer than pessimists.
Turns out they're both right.

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 10:01:PM »
I have, but I'm still trying out things, although time is running out. During a wet-dry race my best laps were a 1.47.00 in the wet and a 1.43.00 in the dry (both in 1 race setup). I made some compromises to my dry setup I would rather not have made, but it made my wet runs more stable. Not really fast, but also not likely to spin out.

Offline thebag69

• 10tenths Moderator
  • your custom title
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 12:33:AM »
I had a quick go in the wet tonight, went as well as expected 😂

Offline SCClockDr

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 01:16:AM »
I've run 2 races today. The first was abysmal in the wet but with one stop to switch to dry once the rain let up I managed to resurrect the race and nip the AI in the last lap. I made a couple of tweaks that improved wet stability and the seducing go was laps better. I am still getting right wheel lockup in the hairpin at the bottom which I believe is from that corner lifting approaching the apex. If can sometimes catch the tire letters stopped even with my foot completely away from the brake peddle. That said right front temps & wear seem unaffected.
Regards
George

PCars GOTY on Original PS4 500G
G29 W/O Shifter, TB PX-4, DIY Arduino Button Box,
Android PCars Dash, & Crew Chief

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 01:19:AM »
Yeah, this car is a whole lot different than the indycar. I do love the quality of the medium tire, but the rest just feels strange. I'm really struggling in the slowish corners, the ones that you drive through at about 100kph (60mph), I can barely hold my line then, which also puts others at risk if they make an unsuspected move on me in a corner like that and I have no place to go. It just sucks having to drive with a pad, there is no response in a thumbstick like you have with a wheel. I can't use force to get the car turned the way I want it to turn, I just have to push the stick left or right and hope my line and speed are good for the corner, can't do much else besides braking or giving it a bit more throttle.
This is also why others should be aware if they're driving right behind me, I might drive different lines and have other braking points they're not used to, I don't want to be rear ended and the other doesn't want to mess up his front suspension, I noticed that 2 weeks ago at the nurburgring practice race that some people were caught off guard at 1 or 2 braking zones I used, but the guy behind is the one who has to pay attention right? As soon as you're next to each other, you have to leave room and you're both responsible for a good overtake / holding position, but as long as you're the one driving behind someone, you have to be careful when there is a corner coming since braking 0.1s too late can cause a crash... :ecomcity: