Username: Password:

Author Topic: Round # 7, Monza, December 8th, 2016  (Read 1891 times)

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
Round # 7, Monza, December 8th, 2016
« on: October 09, 2016, 09:49:PM »
Monza
5.79 km
11 Turns
Clear
16 Laps
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 12:30:AM by lmntr »

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
Re: Round # 7, Monza, December 8th, 2016
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 11:21:PM »
I found my good setup again  :dance: I had made a nice setup which allowed me to finish the race with a tiny bit of fuel to spare, however, I started tinkering with my setup and I was stupid enough not to make a backup of my old setup. I was having fuel problems and to finish the race I had to short-shift through pretty much every gear the entire race. But luckily I recreated my old setup now.
So now for the first time I think I have two pretty different gearing setups, one for qualifying and one for the race.

By the way, a funny little story: shortly after release I was driving practice laps at Monza with a couple of friends, either in GT3 or LMP1, driving on the start-finish straight my phone rang and while I picked it up to see who it was I kept going full throttle and didn't brake at all for the 1st corner, so I smashed full speed into those white tire walls. A friend of mine was already past the first corner and on his way to the Curva Grande, I had hit the tire wall so hard that one of the tires flew at least 100 meters, landing on the back of my friend's car, causing him to spin out and crash :grin:
We were laughing so hard I forgot to record it  :embarrassed:
The downforce is strong with this one

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 12:08:PM »
That is so funny.

Historically I do well at this circuit. Let's see if that's going to continue.
Optimists live longer than pessimists.
Turns out they're both right.

Offline thebag69

• 10tenths Moderator
  • your custom title
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 12:16:PM »
It normally makes for good racing.

Hopefully I can get a start without getting rear ended.

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 10:06:PM »
I just finished my practice race with TKFTDR1 along with 14 others.  I started in the 1:33s and dipped into the 1:32s during the race.  I had the mechanical malfunction light come on and went into the pits for repairs with about 3 laps to go.   I am not sure what caused it other than maybe the parked car I hit on the front straight.  Come to think of it, there were several cars parked during the race.   Does anyone have an idea why they do that? 

Anyway, TK qualified up 1.7 s from me.  Hopefully, I can get closer with more practice.   By the way, I posted my Spa race from the monitor perspective in the other thread. 

Thinking back on the last Wednesday mock race,  Do you fellows want this at 9 PM again on Wednesday to give you more odds to participate?

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 10:17:PM »
I heard a rumor that An0n_848 was on his way to the Mercedes HeadQuarters  :icon_mrgreen: .

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 11:16:PM »
Hmm interesting, because that is also my race pace. I hope you don't improve too much, so we can be in a fight this race.

Also I justed wanted to say I had a lot more fun last wednesday racing with damage off. We're not pro's, yet we drive these incredibly fast cars. Combine input lag, with real lag and a 'slightly' slower reaction from yourself and it's easy to ruin your own and/or someone else's race.
You are also inclined to drive a bit more risky, trying to go for a great overtake. If you fail and make accidental contact, you just back off and let the other pass, but no-one's race is ruined.
That is also why I prefer GT3 racing, a small amount of contact there is not causing your suspension to immediately break.

On wednesday I should have backed out in a fight with lmntr, causing him to spin out in the first corner, but I waited for him to pass me and we continued the race (and eventually both ended up on the podium). I had some crazy fights with TKF, we were constantly overtaking each other, somewhere along the line he hit my back and instead of my suspension or his suspension breaking, he backed off a little and we just continued fighting for a podium.
On Thursday I saw people flying into each other at the green light, causing all kinds of damage and at the end of the first lap I could not avoid making contact with someone's rear. My suspension broke and had to make an immediate pitstop, while the other driver was able to keep driving. Fighting my way back later I got rear ended and something broke causing my handling (and eventually my race) to go to hell, but the other driver had no problem.

Racing we damage off shouldn't mean making contact is fine and you can drive like Pastor Maldonado, but we're all human and neither of us (I guess) is a pro race driver with lightning responses. People would be less scared in overtaking, a lag spike doesn't automatically put you in last place and if there is an incident which you caused, you wait for your opponent to get back on track and past you, but you both live to fight another day.
The other argument is of course realism. Racing with damage on is more realistic, but there are already a lot of unrealistic factors and driving with damage off creates races with more fun and less frustration. That is my opinion, just wondering how others look at it.

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 01:39:PM »
I will certainly try to improve so I am always refining my approach to braking and racing lines. I believe I alreay have improved much but still have more to go in order to match the top league drivers.   

I too had fun during the Wednesday's mock race.  The main reason that the damage was turned off is for the tendency of some public drivers to believe that it is proper to wedge themselves between you and the apex and upon succeeding in their savage pass, they believe they did well !  and then when you finally passed them, they leave promptly after having ruined someone else's race.  The other reason is so the goal of getting a proper practice and data gathering, along with having the opportunity to refine your passes, identify danger areas and learning in essence, what works and what does not.  And last but not least, the opportunity to showcase our product to new drivers and to entice them to join us.   

I prefer we use some type of damage during our official races so that at the end, the driver with obvious pace, consistency and finesse should be crowned champion.   

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 03:22:PM »
In the end, that person will be champion. Look at wednesday, your pace was 2nd best and you finished 2nd despite what happened in Eau Rouge in the first lap. Otherwise that would have been race over and it wouldn't have been your fault. And instead of it also ending my race, what would have been just since it was my fault, it became a learning moment and when I was in the same situation again a bit later, I backed out of that fight and made the overtake somewhere else.
Just a question: I've read that Full Damage makes your car less vulnerable than Performance Impacting. It does add visual damage and you can lose a complete wheel if you crash really hard, but small contacts are less likely to really break things. Have you guys experimented with this in the past?

Offline thebag69

• 10tenths Moderator
  • your custom title
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 05:48:PM »
Must admit I'd rather have damage off.

I've been hit every race so far I think. Not through bad driving but lag I'm guessing at the start. Flipping annoying.

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 01:21:PM »
Yes, we had too many of those incidents so far.  You have to drive as if damage would give you a concussion and hurt you financially .   Many times when we look at the footage recorded through the replay system, it does not show it.  That is the reason I record the monitor as well as I posted on the last race.   This way you should be able to see if lag was responsible or just the refusal to brake or relax the acceleration.   I had to slam on my brakes many times so it can be done.

Offline An0n

• why so serious?
  • Admin
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 05:51:PM »
I heard a rumor that An0n_848 was on his way to the Mercedes HeadQuarters  :icon_mrgreen: .

I'd be happy with 5 minutes on their simulator  :eusa_dance:

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 06:33:PM »
9pm means I can race. So yes from me.

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 09:31:AM »
Also I like what Dnns has to say about damage.
Whilst I love the realism, getting hit and having your race ruined is no good.
Should we try it for a race and see what happens?
We can still apply penalties where needed for crazy lunges .

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 10:26:PM »
What I was asking: if in other countries you also have a bright yellow sticker on the boxes of meds if those meds impair your driving abilities? I'm on at least 3 types of meds with those stickers on it  :steeringwheel: ^^
Especially at monza it's really easy to lose focus, mess up your braking and either have a horrible corner costing a couple of seconds or a cut track penalty. That was my main problem today, hopefully tomorrow a bit better.

Also: lap time overview for today's mock race
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 10:34:PM by Dnns84 »