Username: Password:

Author Topic: Round # 11, Silverstone GP, January 5th, 2017  (Read 2698 times)

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
Round # 11, Silverstone GP, January 5th, 2017
« on: October 09, 2016, 08:43:PM »
Silverstone GP
5.89 km
18 Turns
Clear
16 Laps
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 12:32:AM by lmntr »

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
Re: Round # 11, Silverstone GP, January 5th, 2017
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 05:24:PM »
Wow, 1.5 month ago I could't do the race without stopping and I had a 10-6 strat in mind (10 on primes and then 6 on alts), but now I can  finish the race on one set of primes. All because I changed the setup of my DS4... Still have to do more testing to see how far I can go on alternates and if perhaps a really aggressive 2x alts setup is faster than a smooth 1x primes race.
The downforce is strong with this one

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 05:53:PM »
It's a shame the classic circuit is so buggy as it's also so excellent!
This one's still pretty good for getting your heart beating though.

Copse, Maggots, Becketts, Chapel. Tracks rarely get better than those turns. (Turns 9 to 14)
Optimists live longer than pessimists.
Turns out they're both right.

Offline thebag69

• 10tenths Moderator
  • your custom title
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 11:38:PM »
I hate this track since they changed it a few years ago.

However looking forward to racing again  :steeringwheel:

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 11:58:PM »
I never did particularly well in this track because of some of its tricky turns.   Sorry, I do not know the names like Skanda without looking at the map.   Nevertheless, I will try to do my best.  :13:  Who ever does the first laps, please post your time. 

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 10:06:AM »
What makes you think that I didn't look at the map. ;)

The secret to the multiple turns is to get a good line out of the final turn. Nothing else matters.
Just be sure that your line through all of them sets you up for hitting the final apex perfectly.

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 02:38:PM »
I never did particularly well in this track because of some of its tricky turns.   Sorry, I do not know the names like Skanda without looking at the map.   Nevertheless, I will try to do my best.  :13:  Who ever does the first laps, please post your time.

In my testrace yesterday on primes I had a fastest lap of 1.41.5 and on average I was doing 1.42.xx. Gonna check later what my times will be on alternates, but I doubt that a 1 stop with 2x alts will be faster than 0 stop on primes. You however, will probably do a 0 stop on alts  :steeringwheel:

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 01:18:AM »
Okay, I did my first mock race and I qualified 1:42:8  just getting acclamatized to the track.   My fastest lap during the race was 1:41:1 .   I should be able to go faster as I used the same downforce as in Sonoma GP and did not do any adjusting.   :icon_biggrin:

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 06:25:PM »
I tried alternates with 1 stop, but on average I was making up too little time compared to driving on primes. A couple of laps 1.40.xx and the other laps in the 41's. Trying this, I noticed that I might be able to do a 0 stop on alts, but I haven't tried it yet and I'm not sure if I can keep my lap times from going way too high towards the end.

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 01:48:AM »
So, I also tested a full race on alternates without stopping. The fastest so far, but the last 5 laps or so I'm pretty much driving on ice, which shows in the times. My first test race on primes could have gone a lot better, made some mistakes here and there and in my other tests I didn't make as many mistakes. So I think 0 stops on alts will be my fastest strat, even though my data shows something else at the moment. But with more practice and data things might change :P

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 10:45:AM »
I'm hitting 1:41.xxx in race trim pretty regularly.

100% AI hits 1:38.xxx no problem in practice so I'm guessing the front runners could be going even faster than this.

Like lmntr I am using Sonoma downforce levels. Time for some more testing today.

I haven't given this the attention that I should recently.
The last 3 months of my life have been the busiest ever.
If you think that you are already too busy, I don't recommend that your wife and business partner has spinal surgery.

Offline Dnns84

• 10Tenths coordinator
  • Just call me Dennis
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 03:13:PM »
I'm hitting 1:41.xxx in race trim pretty regularly.

100% AI hits 1:38.xxx no problem in practice so I'm guessing the front runners could be going even faster than this.

Like lmntr I am using Sonoma downforce levels. Time for some more testing today.

I haven't given this the attention that I should recently.
The last 3 months of my life have been the busiest ever.
If you think that you are already too busy, I don't recommend that your wife and business partner has spinal surgery.

however if you want all the time in the world, I suggest getting spinal surgery twice. You only have to bear in mind that you will be more or less glued to couch to the extend that you'd have to use a controller instead of a wheel because you can't sit up for long enough... :steeringwheel: :eusa_naughty:

I did another run on primes yesterday and it was 14 seconds faster than my first run on primes. Still I find it hard to be really consistent on the primes, especially compared to the alts. But I was driving 1.41's a lot more often than a couple of days ago.
My guess pole will be a 1.37.xx

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 05:57:PM »
Ouch. That sounds more serious than heart surgery.
I'm having simple (by comparison) kidney surgery myself on 24th so l'll be making the most of the sofa then.

I'm struggling to keep the tyres intact and run lower downforce. I've got Primary on the front and Alternate on the rear
I might put some wing back on just to avoid a pitstop. The front is sliding too much. It's like driving across a cheese grater.

Offline Skanda-Five

• 10Tenths coordinator
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 05:59:PM »
Not sure I can match 1:37 for qualifying. Haven't done anything other than half full fuel tank running so far.

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 06:03:PM »
Ouch. That sounds more serious than heart surgery.
I'm having simple (by comparison) kidney surgery myself on 24th so l'll be making the most of the sofa then.

I'm struggling to keep the tyres intact and run lower downforce. I've got Primary on the front and Alternate on the rear
I might put some wing back on just to avoid a pitstop. The front is sliding too much. It's like driving across a cheese grater.

I have tried now less downforce and have gone consistently about 1 second faster and managed a no stopper with alternates.  I do not know if I can go any lower in downforce as I was getting some slippage towards the end of the race.  You can be sure I will go for it, this way I can defend in the long straights.