Username: Password:

Author Topic: My Kart  (Read 5583 times)

Offline An0n

• why so serious?
  • Admin
My Kart
« on: March 30, 2016, 07:51:PM »
So i thought i would show you the reason why i've had hardly any free time recently and why i've had to miss some races.

After 8 years away from motorsport a couple of years ago i decided it was time to get back into it, so since then i've slowly been planning what to do and sorting things out and having spent those years hammering trackdays on my Ducati i was ready to get back to racing. I had won 2 championships before i stopped racing and i hope i can carry on where i left off.

During this process i had also built a workshop so you'll see as the kart build progresses, so does the workshop equipment :eusa_dance:  because to start with i basically just had an empty workshop with no work bench, power outlets, lighting or certain specific tools which i required.

I didn't take too many pictures during the process because i wasn't really documenting it, the pictures i have are mostly what i sent friends who wanted to know what stage i was at, but you'll get the idea of what happened.

ok, so to start with this is how the kart looked when i purchased it

It might look ok on the photo's but firstly, the blue chassis and bodywork colour just wasn't doing it for me, as well as loads of other things that were on the kart were not up to standard and were letting it down, and alot of parts needed replacing such as bearings, cables, mounting brackets etc..

So what do we do? strip the fucking lot, down to ugly blue chassis.

and then, get the chassis blasted and powder coated, i decided to go for a nice graphite looking grey

no idea what the fucking towel is doing there, but you get the idea.

So while the chassis was being done, i inspected the parts i had, and decided what i wanted to do and what bits to replace, also not forgetting that i better give the engine an overhaul, nothing major just the seals, gearbox oil, new piston and rings and gave the carb a good overhaul.    the engine it's self is a TM KZ10   125cc.

One of the first things i made were these carbon fiber floor trays, i work in the industry so could easily make what i needed at home, i made 2 so i have a spare, and one is slightly heavier than the other, as this is bolted to the chassis this also affects how the kart handles because it can act as a torsion bar ( of sorts ) and will influence how the chassis flex's and handles.

You can also see in this picture i have the rear axle on the work bench as i replaced all the bearings and gave it a clean up, i also cleaned and polished the exhaust expansion champer, and also purchased a data logger

Ok, time to rebuild, i replaced every single nut and bolt on this kart, with higher quality parts

I didn't take too many pictures during the main rebuild process because on pictures you can only really see the big parts that are being fitted and not the large amount of cables, tubes, brackets etc that were made and fitted but it was quite a long process, initially it seems like the builld is doing very quickly then you get to a point where it's all the small details and they just take forever.

this was taken on the day i was going to drive it for the first time, finally finished and ready to go !"

This is how she looks on track, i wish i had remembered to remove the shitty bits of my number sticker on the front but nevermind, i re designed some graphics, they are based on the mclaren f1 livery of 2015, what i really like was the simple lines and the black and red colours, simple and clean looking.

So how did it drive? well i had not even sat in a kart for 8 years, so i was very rusty but here is a video of one of my first sessions.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt7Uyd7rQ5E" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt7Uyd7rQ5E</a>

I know the track very well but i made alot of mistakes but tried not to rush anything as i have to get used to everything again as it's a chassis and engine i've never used so i was busy setting that up during the day as well as re-learning everything as quick as i possibly could.

anyway, hope this thread kept you entertained for a few minutes, it's my first race this weekend and i've only been in the kart once, but i like being thrown in slightly unprepared, it's more of a challenge. :flag: :flag: :eusa_dance: :eusa_dance:

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
Re: My Kart
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 02:36:PM »
    Wonderful kart control!  I really enjoyed watching the video and saw that going around this track required counter-steering in many of the turns.    It is spectacular to see the vibrating video, which is reminiscent of the Senna videos with its vibrating look.  Is this the fast way technique in this track or do you need to do some set up work?

Offline An0n

• why so serious?
  • Admin
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 07:42:PM »
Glad you enjoyed it. :thumb_up:

I'm still very rusty so even in that video there are multiple mistakes every lap but i just need to get used to it all again, 8 years is a long time.

Sometimes with these engines it is faster to literally slide through the corner because this keeps the engine in it's power band because it has such a narrow power band you have to keep it in the optimum range all the time, on the video you can see i fuck up a few gear shifts or where the kart 'bogs down' and loses alot of rpm so i have to downshift, so yeah sometimes just nailing it through a corner keeping the rpm up it the fastest way around a corner.

It was a very cold and windy day, hardly any grip and with me trying to re-learn everything my lap times were probably a bit slower than they should be, but having said that, nobody overtook me all day, so i'll take something from that.

tonight i have been changing the gear ratio's for this weekends race which is why i've missed tonights race unfortunately, but after this weekend i should have some free time to get back into it. 

The track i am at next is a fast one with corners i can take at over 100mph which in a kart feels alot faster which is a great feeling when you're inches off the ground.  i'll try to have the camera running again to hopefully get some good footage

Offline tigerpaw11

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 09:52:PM »
Great, interesting work...and nice to see the  :steeringwheel: too
How's the tire wear with these cars?
 Anyway, thanks for sharing.

Offline SevenDust19

• Just for fun
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 09:36:PM »
It's been a long time now but i just had to react to this topic: the reason i don't do this kind of races anymore is karting too.
Anyway: Looks like a nice kart! And the driving seems to be a bit rusty as you mentioned, but i think once you start to practice again you'll be back there at the top because you look like a very good driver in the short vid :icon_smile:

I have been doing some karting a lot last few months, i tried out a Rotax Senior a couple of times and i bought my own kart in december.
I have progressed a lot since the start and i still have some potential left in the tank, and i'm racing with the Corse Benelux Team nowadays. The chassis still has some potential but it's a pretty decent midfield chassis at the moment.

What about you An0n? Are you planning to do some races in the near future? Please keep me updated about that cause i'd like to know how you perform  :icon_wink:
I'm having my first race at Genk in 2 weeks time so fingers crossed  :eusa_pray:
"If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver." ~Ayrton Senna

Offline An0n

• why so serious?
  • Admin
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 06:50:PM »
As soon as you can, get yourself into a shifter kart  :thumb_up:   

I had my first race last week, i was against super karts which consisted of 125's with the aerodynamic bodywork, 250's , 250 twins and there were a couple of 450cc 4 strokes.

I mainly did this race for a laugh as my kart, engine and chassis isn't set up for the big circuits but it's so much fucking fun flicking this kart around proper corners at over 100mph, it's just great,  and i was quicker than alot of the guys with rear wings,  aerodynamic bodywork etc which surprised a few people

My next race is on April 24th so around the same time as you i think  :eusa_dance: and it's at a track i know well and have won 2 championships there in the past, so i'm going to go for my 3rd one.

It definitely keeps you busy, as you guys know i do all my own work on my kart and that includes the majority of the engine work so today i've had the barrel off the engine, put a new piston in and i just need to hone the barrel out and do a few other bits.

The downside is i've had no time to get on project cars or do anything like that really, but things should ease off a bit soon i hope.

Your kart looks good though seven, keep us updated on how you get on too  :thumb_up:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 06:54:PM by An0n »

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 11:17:PM »
It definitely looks like a lot of fun :icon_mrgreen:   Where was your first track at?  What is the series title?  Where are you going for your second race? 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 11:19:PM by lmntr »

Offline An0n

• why so serious?
  • Admin
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 04:23:PM »
My first race this year was at Darley moor race circuit, it's a good race weekend there as they don't just race karts there, they also have loads of bikes and even side cars racing, and it's a proper little race track with big screens showing info so people watching know whats going on as well as a commentator.

My next race weekend is at a place called Woodthorpe, a track i previously won 2 championships at, so i quite like it  :eusa_dance:

Another busy few hours working away, it was time for a new piston and an oil seal was leaking gearbox oil so that needed to be changed too.

For me this is what racing is also all about, not just the turning up and driving the thing, it's also about getting your hands dirty, understanding the engine and how to properly maintain and even improve it to your own personal preference, i'm not one of those people who just pays someone else to do this kind of thing, it's the way i've always liked to do it and it's worked well for me based on my results.

The other good thing about doing your own proper work is, you can spot problems before they happen, for example, while i was doing the work i decided to take the reed block off and noticed one of the reeds was damaged, something like this can ruin your weekend and even damage the engine but luckily it hadn't got to that stage, you can see in the image the small part that is damaged.

It might not look like much but the small reed petals affect the air/fuel ratio, without not going into too much detail and boring you, it can have a huge impact on engine performance.

Anyway, the reed block is awaiting new reeds before i put it back on but the engine is now essentially back together and ready.

Anyway i hope these posts are interesting and even an insight in to what proper kart racing is all about.

roll on the next race. :thumb_up:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 04:24:PM by An0n »

Offline SevenDust19

• Just for fun
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 08:45:PM »
So i had my first race yesterday, changed last minute from sunday to saturday to race in the BEKC,which is a 2 hours endurance race. Wasn't able to do the sprintraces on sunday because of some private reasons.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun. I drove a very good race and so did my teammate when she took over the wheel.
I did the qualy and i was 9th out of 19 teams with a time of 56.684,it was my first time with all the extra weight on the kart so i was quite happy with the lap i set as it was a competitive time which would have placed me 10th out of 30 drivers for the sprintraces. With these laptimes i can look forward to drive in the Belgian Max Challenge or even the Euromax in the future.  :icon_smile:

Now on to the race, i did the start and i didn't lose any places during the first couple of laps, but then i was touched by someone from the back and it put me out of my comfort zone for just a few moments which saw me losing some places. A little later i started picking up the pace again and i started to race towards the front,whilst doing some nice overtakes.
From the drivers change onwards, we went quite stable and we eventually finished 11th, having some bad luck at the end. The brakes were absolutely gone and so my teammate had to retire my kart with just 2 laps to go,losing out on 8th place.

The result wasn't that important though;we enjoyed our day so we were both happy.  :icon_mrgreen:

Now on to the next one,which will most likely be a BMC race or a GK4 race, depends on how much i improve in the following weeks.

Note:will post some pictures when i get them

:039: :flag:
"If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver." ~Ayrton Senna

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 11:41:PM »
I am looking forward seeing some of the pictures you can provide!  In the meantime I searched on you tube and found 4 2008 videos. It looks like a lot of fun out there.

Offline SevenDust19

• Just for fun
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 04:19:PM »

Just a few of a lot pictures.

To An0n,if you ever visit some other countries for karting: go to Kerpen! It's the best track i've been to yet and it's quite a wild one  :icon_smile: A lot of high kerbs and you have to take them all to go fast. It's a bit of a chassis killer out there; but it's definitely worth it!

Offline An0n

• why so serious?
  • Admin
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 09:14:AM »
Do they race KZ karts there?

What tyres are you using there? if i had to guess i'd say Vega whites judging by the pictures, i've got a set in my garage i keep meaning to try out.

I should hopefully have a few interesting months ahead, i plan on racing at Donington park on the GP circuit in July, then Cadwell park in September / August which i'm looking forward to.

Offline SevenDust19

• Just for fun
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 05:55:PM »
Yeah they race KZ's there as well. When you just go training on a random day they even get a split session if there are enough of them.

The tyres i used were MG HZ's, they're like the same sort of grip as the Vega XH's (green ones). The MG's last a bit longer though and i found out that the vega's best grip lasted for more laps.

The white ones are even softer than the green tyres so give them a go soon  :icon_smile: tell me how they felt if you tested them.

I'm also having some interesting months ahead,maybe a BMC race at Genk in August,and i'm already signed in for a GK4 race in Mariembourg and the season finale in Genk.
This saturday i'm gonna take part in the training sessions of the BMC in Kerpen, so looking forward to that now despite the fact they predict lots of rain and i'm gonna have to put on that way too hot rain suit again.  :rain: :rolleyes:

Offline An0n

• why so serious?
  • Admin
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 08:58:AM »
I probably won't bother trying them, even with the dunlop DFH's i'm using we are constantly having the problem of having 'too much' grip :eusa_dance:  not a bad problem to have really depending on your preference.

I have a 2 day race weekend coming up next, at Cadwell park, a track some of you may have tried on project cars.
I'll be racing against superkarts again but if i can piss a few of them off, i'll be happy.

If i get my camera mounted properly, i fancy doing a comparison video with the 125cc kart on project cars around Cadwell.
Should be interesting, although the way the karts handle on the game are really unrealistic in my opinion

Offline lmntr

• Admin
  • your custom title
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 02:22:PM »
It will be really interesting to see the karting videos.  In addition maybe some commentary of how you go about fine tuning the handling of your kart for particular tracks, or is it one good base set up?